OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have a problem which has been going on for at least the

last 5 months. I am...
I have a problem which has been going on for at least the last 5 months. I am having unusual discharge every day and some pain during sex. I have taken 2 full courses of thrush medication but this hasn't helped. I have been tested for BV too but I do not have it. I have been tested for stds but all results negative. Have had pap smear which came back fine. I have also been prescribed a course of metronidazole which had no effect. The doctor i've been seeing suggested a TV pelvic ultrasound, just incase I have pelvic inflamitory disease, but as I am currently on a gap year abroad this will cost me hundreds! There is no reason why I should I have pelvic inflamitory disease and I do not have many symptoms, so I am reluctant to pay so much for this procedure 'just incase'. Do you think this ultrasound is necessary, or could there be anything else I may have which I have not been tested for yet? Perhaps an allergy etc?
5/31/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

What is your discharge like - whitish, brownish, clear, mucoid etc?

- Does it have any odor?

Does it occur every day in the menstrual cycle? When does it occur most?

Do you have bleelding after sex?

The discharge is thin and whitish. There is an odour which is sometimes strong. It occurs every day in my cycle, there doesn't seem to be a time when it occurs more than any other.

There is no bleeding after sex, just an uncomfortable feeling, a bit like burning, during.

The odor does suggest an infection. But it is possible that this infection is in the cervix and not a pelvic inflammatory disease.

Chronic cervicitis can occur at the mouth of the cervix - this can cause a thin whitish secretion with a bad odor. It can also cause pain during sex, including a back pain.

If you are on any hornome contraceptive, especially birth control pills, you could have developed a condition called cervical erosion. This is a change in the cells which causes them to become columnar with increased secretions. these cells are also vulnerable to infections.

A pap smear would not help show up these infections. You need a direct examinaiton of the cervix with a swab taken for a lab test.

If these tests do nto show any infeciton, then yes, you will need a pelvic ultrasound.

Please consult an Obgyn.

I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor