OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have been experiencing excruciating pain in the inner

Hi, I have been experiencing...
Hi, I have been experiencing excruciating pain in the inner rectal area that feels like spasms or cramping. When this occurs, I feel the need to defecate but mostly cant due to constipation. They occur in episodes that when triggered, lasts for a week, in which i will experience these pains a few times a day. The pains lasts for on average an hour. My gastroenrologist suggests that its just constipation, but i dont think it is because the pain is crippling. Is he right?
5/15/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Welcome and thank you for the question.
- Since when have you had these rectal pains? Have you noticed if they get triggered off by something you eat or by any exercise?
- Are they related in any way to your menstrual period? Do the pains occur at around the time you get your period?
- How often do you have a bowel motion? daily?
- Do you have any back pain?

-Ive had these pains for about a year now. Ive noticed that eating noodles and large meals can trigger it.

-They dont seem to be related to my menstrual period, or at least I have not made that connection.

-My bowel movements varies. Sometimes daily, sometimes once every 2-3 days

-I normally do not have back pain. Howerver, i do feel lower back pain during an episode

Lilly,
Thank you for the additional information.
Rectal spasms, also known as proctalgia fugax can be due to conditions like polyps or other growths in the rectum. Since the growths irritate the nerves, the dilation of the rectum ( if you are constipated, the stool tends to collect in the rectum and dilate it excessively) can cause acute spasms.
Sometimes, it may occur spontaneously without any known cause.
If the pain occurs at or around the time of the periods, then it can be due to a condition known as endometriosis.
Please consult a Gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy and a barium enema test. Polyps or other growths will show up in these tests.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Thank you,it helps a lot!
You are welcome.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor