OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have had a total hysterectomy 11 yrs ago. I am not

sexually active. I am a...
I have had a total hysterectomy 11 yrs ago. I am not sexually active. I am a diabetic. I have had a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen. Went to the er. Was dismissed and told that i could have diverticulitis. Dont believe that is it. Earlier this evenings i felt like i had wet my pants. Went to the br and discovered a yellow discharge in my underwear. It does have a slight odor that i cannot describe.
5/3/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Welcome and thank you for your question.
A yellowish vaginal discharge with a slight smell is very suggestive of a vaginal infection. Since diabetics are especially prone to infections, chances are high that you have vaginal infection which is causing a radiating pain to the lower abdomen.
It is possible that you have Bacterial vaginosis - an infection that occurs when the ph of the vagina alters and there is overgrowth of bacteria that is naturally present in the vagina.
Please consult an Obgyn for a vaginal swab to be sent to the lab. You may also need an ultrasound of the lower abdomen.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
The ER did a ct of my abdomen. This discharge was very scary. It was very sudden. Felt like it did when my water broke when i had my daughter 25 yrs ago. Have had no discharge until this last evening. Is it possible something has ruptured (like a cyst, etc....)? After the ct the tech ask me 3 times if i have had abdominal surgeries.
I don't think this was a cyst.
The likeliest cause of the sudden pain and the sudden leakage of discharge is that you had a collection of fluid in the upper part of the vagina.This fluid can remain encapsulated in dense scar tissue. A sudden rupture of the scar tissue can occur either as a result of some activity or due to an infection and inflammation and the fluid leak out.
Possibly the tech saw some scar tissue or encapsulated fluid - which is why he asked if you had an abdominal surgery.
The fact that the discharge had an odor indicates an infection.
You need an ultrasound - it may be more informative in diagnosis of problems of the reproductive organs. You also need a vaginal swab.
I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor