Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I am trying to figure out if I am pregnant. Here is my

I am trying to figure out if I am pregnant. Here is my situation:My last period started on April 7. I had unprotected sex (with my husband) on April 17 and 18. I believe to have ovulated on April 21. NORMALLY every month I do not experience any pms symptoms and do not get cramps until the day I start. That is usually my signal that I will be starting that day or have already. Here are all these symptoms I am having that I have never experienced before:I am ALWAYS very dry and have no noticable cervical mucus right before I start. I have noticed that my cervical mucus has noticably increased. Today is the first day that I didn't see any on the tissue after wiping. I am DUE to start my period this Sunday. Starting on Sun April 28 my nipples stayed erect and tingly and just a little sore for over 24 hours which was totally weird to me. I am extremely bloated and gassy. I am peeing more and having soft frequent bowel movements (which is weird for me). I have had HANEOUS cramps, not normal cramps that I get the day I am starting but like sharp little pains including lower back pain...enough for me to use a heating pad. I work at home so I have no reason to be tired and I find that I could take an afternoon nap or go to bed by 9pm. Another weird thing for me is I NEVER really get headaches and from the day my nipples were sore I have had a dull headache everyday. I have just been taking tylenol. I also have a very stuffy nose. I have been checking my temp in the morning and for a week I have been at 99.1 every morning and what made me write in today is that I just got a wave of dizziness and sick feeling. I really haven't been eating a whole lot as nothing sounds good, but when I do eat I find that my normal portion isn't satisfying. I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago and again this morning and it says negative. If I am not pregant then what in the world could it be? I don't EVER feel like this or have these symptoms. Your help is extremely appreciated!
Dr. Owen : Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : Can you tell me if you have done a pregnancy test?
Dr. Owen : Also, when is your Next period due?
Dr. Owen : Hi
Customer:

Yes I did one 2 days ago and another this morning both negative and my period is due this Sunday May 5th

Dr. Owen : Which brand of pregnancy test did younuse?
Customer:

First Response

Dr. Owen : okay
Dr. Owen : that is a very good test
Dr. Owen : usually that test is positive by 3 to 4 days prior to your next period, but sometimes it can take until you miss a period to get a positive pregnancy test if you truly are pregnant.
Customer:

If I am not, what could be going on that I am experiencing all of this?

Customer:

The cramps/sharp pains are just off the hook like never before

Dr. Owen : This could be the ovarian cyst called the corpus luteum cyst which produces progesterone and usually stays a cysts until about 9 to 11 weeks of pregnancy, so your body might be giving mixed signals.
Dr. Owen : So, you could be pregnant and if your period does not occur on the 5 th of May, do another test such as from EPT, first response or Clear Blue
Customer:

okay so basically play the waiting game...

Dr. Owen : I know it is hard, especially if you are trying to get pregnant.
Dr. Owen : and if you are trying to get pregnant, please start a prenatal vitamin
Customer:

okay thank you

Dr. Owen : you are welcome
Dr. Owen : please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen : thank you, ***** *****
Dr. Owen : Hi please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Dr. Owen : thank you, ***** *****