OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have for the past four months been experiencing very bad

itching and soreness in vagina...
i have for the past four months been experiencing very bad itching and soreness in vagina inside and outside also going back to anus and sorrunding area skin feels very rough and i scratch very agressively this is very sore.
4/30/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Your symptoms sound like a bad fungal infection - both inside and outside the vagina. Fugal infection in this region can also spread to the anus as the skin here can remain moist and warm, allowing fungus to grow readily.

The ointments you have used will not help - none of them are antifungal ointments.

Please try Lotrimin AF cream or Monistat thrice a day - these are available without a prescription. Also use Monistat 7 Vaginal Antifungal Cream inside the vagina for the vaginal infection. Dust Lotrimin powder over the entire area to keep it dry.

Using a mild steroid like Cortizone will help decrease the itching and you can use it for the initial 3 days.

The soreness can indicate a secondary bacterial infection. If the Lotrimin does not help decrease the soreness, you may need to apply a local antibiotic ointment like neosporin.

If you see no change in the soreness or itching in 3 days, please consult an Obgyn.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

all of the area conserned feels very dry

Pat,

Fungal infection will cause dryness of the skin - that is one of the symptoms of a fungal infection. Fungus grows well in moist skin but once the infection occurs, it can cause dryness.

Please use the ointments I have suggested - they should help clear it up.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor