OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Its been over 7 weeks since i had my c-section. Can i start

exercising? will exercising reduce the...
its been over 7 weeks since i had my c-section. Can i start exercising? will exercising reduce the calorific content of my breast milk?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/23/2013
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome adn thank you for the question.

Yes, you can exercise after 7 weeks from your c-section. And no, it will not affect the calorific value of your breastmilk.

Gentle stretching exercises at first and then gradually building up into a exercise routine will be necessary.

I hope this helps.

what does the quality of breast milk depend on? I am worried that in my effort to get in to shape I may burn too many calories.. thereby reducing the quality both in terms of nutritional and calorific value..

The quality of the breastmilk usually remains constant - whatever nutrients are necessary is drawn form the mother. If there is any deficiency, it is the mother who will become malnourished or deficient in calories before the baby is affected.

So you need to take adequate food to keep up your own health. Increase your calorie intake by upto 2500 calories per day. Drinking enough water is also necessary.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor