Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

What is the difference between genital warts and polyps?

Welcome and thank you for the question.
A genital wart is caused by infection with the HPV virus. It is usually a flat whitish or pinkish growth which may be shaped like a cauliflower when it gets larger.
A polyp is essentially a bit of tissue which hangs on a fine stalk attached to the skin to mucus membrane. It can hang from the cervix or inside the uterus into the uterine canal or from the skin outside the vulva etc. A genital wart may also sometimes look like a polyp.
I hope this helps.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.. It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me by clicking on OK Service or above - it is only the way I get credit for helping you. Leaving a Bonus will be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How would you know which one you have then?

Polyps can be easily removed by cutting the fine stalk and biopsied.
Scrapings can be taken from any growth and checked under the microscope.
I hope this helps.