OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I was using the birth control pills for a very time (years)

I was using the birth...
I was using the birth control pills for a very long time (years) and have decided to stop using the pills because of my age (50). However I do have sex regular using the withdrawal method.
My period was due on 19th and today is 20th and so far there is no sign. How long do you suggest I wait before I do a preganancy test. I will give myself a week before I do a test. What advice would you give. And should I continue to have sex without me not having me period on the perspective due date?
Thanks
Worried
3/20/2013
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello worried..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

give it a week and take a pregnancy test.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

at age 50, chances are very low of naturally conceiving a child, but not 0%.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what I would recommend as you move foward from here is go to your doctor on day 3 of your cycles..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so the next time you have a period, the 3rd day of bleeding get your blood drawn.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you want to have an FSH,LH and Estradiol level done.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if the FSH on day 3 is higher than 25, there have been no documented pregnancies with a level of 25 or higher...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thus, contraception would no longer be necessary.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

read above and let me know if you have further questions

Customer:

just to mentioned I dont want anymore children at my age because at my age I think I am more closer to menopause hence my concerns.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..I understand.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

were you able to read about the blood tests I mentioned above?

Customer:

what if I do not I do not go to my doctor on day 3 of my cycle as mentioned? and what are my chances of getting pregnant at this time.

Customer:

yes I do understand the blood test above

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

very low

Dr. Pfeiffer :

1:100,000

Dr. Pfeiffer :

or somewhere around there

Customer:

sorry to ask but are you sure about this that my chances of becoming pregnant is low is tha what you are saying?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes. that's what I'm saying

Customer:

so after a week and there is no period I should do a pregnancy test. What if it comes out positive

Dr. Pfeiffer :

then I would get a blood test to confirm

Customer:

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

answer your questions?

Customer:

what are my chances using the withdrawal method of not getting pregnant?

Customer:

yes you did answer my question

Dr. Pfeiffer :

essentially the same...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

withdrawal method really isn't effective as contraception

Dr. Pfeiffer :

failure rate is about the same as a woman's chance of becoming pregnant each month

Customer:

that I know of for sure

Dr. Pfeiffer :

haha

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you have an additional questions please ask..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if not, please take the time to rate my service..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Customer:

what other method of contraception would you recomend for my age. No condoms. FYI I am married. I hate condoms and so is my husband

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you wanted to be really careful you could get an IUD...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's very reliable and no maintenance..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, if you were going to go to the doctor I would do the blood tests to see if you needed anything

Customer:

no IUD no sir

Customer:

I would take your suggestions and go to the doctor after Ihave done the home test

Customer:

but I will wait for a week and see what happens

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sounds good.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think that's a good plan

Customer:

do you think also is it because i am using thepills for a long period causes the delay of my period?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's possible...but more likely you're entering that phase where your periods will become irregular

Customer:

do you think I should continue to use the pills at my age? to me they are very reliable once taking them as directed

Dr. Pfeiffer :

as long as a woman doesn't smoke there is no age restriction on the pill

Customer:

yes i understand that I am reaching the stage or soon to hit menapause that why to I have decided to come off thepills

Customer:

I thought there was a restriction becasue my doctor wanted me tostop using the pills when I became 35 years old but I continued and Ihad no problems

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I do understand...it's a tricky time

Customer:

I have my regular check up include pap smear and pelvic examinations.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well, use of a pill for 5 years or more decreased risk of uterine and ovarian cancers..

Customer:

it is a tricky time of course thats why I am a bit worried that my period is late

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well, I wouldn't be too worried...just do the test in a week to put your mind at ease

Customer:

do you think I should continue to use thepill? I just came off them last month that why I am soconcern about my late period

Customer:

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

personally, I would use the blood tests in my practice to make such a recommendation.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, from my point of view..you are less likely to conceive naturally than the failure rate of the pill.

Customer:

I do not want to wait to long because if in fact that the test is positive i should think about abortion no children at this age no sir

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you have time...don't fret

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I think that will be all for now

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well

Dr. Pfeiffer :

take care and good luck to you

Customer:

I will see what happen from here on

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

thnaks for your assistance

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service...

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I will do that

Customer:

have a pleasant evening

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you too

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor