OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I didn't know I was pregnant until this morning. (I bled

days after conception and mistook...
I didn't know I was pregnant until this morning. (I bled days after conception and mistook it for an early period). I have drank more than three drinks in one sitting on average two times a week for the last month. (Date of conception was December 24th or 26th). What kind of damage would this cause the fetus as I know FAS is a serious problem and in the first weeks of pregnancy consuming alcohol can be detrimental to his/her development.
1/29/2013
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it's impossible to know for sure if there has been any problems caused by the alcohol consumption.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there isn't an established 'safe' amount of alcohol that can be consumed in pregnancy.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the only way to know for sure if FAS is present is evaluation of physical charcateristics evident after the baby is born.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

however, there is a school of though that it takes a considerable amount of alcohol consumption throughout pregnancy to cause FAS.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, chances are everything will be fine...but unfortunately nobody could guarantee that.

Customer:

And of course babies are still very resilient, otherwise they would never be born. I am just worried that I won't be giving birth to a healthy child. There is no way to know at all if there is any kind of damage?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Not when it comes to FAS.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Birth defects would be evident on ultrasound.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and again, chances are thing will be fine

Customer:

Okay, thank you so much, so if there was any kind of physical deformities or retardations they would show up on an ultrasound. Would they show up this early? My first appointment to confirm the pregnancy and start my pre-natal care is two days from now

Dr. Pfeiffer :

physical abnormalities would show up.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the mental capacity of an infant does not show up on ultrasound.

Customer:

Yes, that I understand. I was asking about the heart and lungs.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no...usually we do the extensive ultrasounds (anatomy scan) around 20 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..heart problems can be identified.

Customer:

Okay, are the anatomy scans done around 20 weeks because that's actually when you can see anything or could I get it done earlier?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, the scans can be done in the 14-16 week range, but is usually repeated again at 20 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

earlier scans will show major problems

Dr. Pfeiffer :

20 weeks allows a more thorough investigation of the developing organs

Customer:

Okay, this has made me feel a lot better. I have one last random question... I just also got a cold, are cold medicines okay to take or should I avoid them? I usually don't get colds and when I do they normally develop into month long hacking episodes, I'm afraid that with my immune system repressed I will just be sick for the duration of my pregnancy

Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually symptomatic relief with tylenol and plain robitussin cough medicine.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

your doctor may be more aggressive with medications once he/she meets you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you will not be sick your entire pregnancy

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it's a tough time of year right now...especially with the flu

Customer:

Are those medicines that I should avoid or use?

Customer:

Oh yes, I'm sorry I was exaggerating about being sick the entire pregnancy... doesn't relate well over type. I got the nasal flu spray about two weeks ago. Should I be worried that?

Customer:

about that?*

Dr. Pfeiffer :

those are the ones that are universally considered safe in pregnancy

Dr. Pfeiffer :

No...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but personally I don't recommend the nasal flu medicines because they are usually zinc

Customer:

Okay, I wasn't sure because the spay is a live virus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..sorry

Customer:

Oh, instead of the flu shot I received the spray. There's zinc in those?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you mean the nasal flu vaccine?

Customer:

yes that is what I mean

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...got it

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no zinc

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it is a live virus

Dr. Pfeiffer :

we don't recommend it in pregnancy

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, nothing you can do about that now

Customer:

Okay, is it not recommended because it is a live virus and your immune system is down; therefore, more likely to contract the virus

Customer:

?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm not aware of true problems caused by the nasal spray in pregnancy, but because it's a live virus and may cause infection

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes

Customer:

So if I haven't had any flu symptoms I am in the clear?

Customer:

Well not full clear, but doing well at least

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes. I think you would have symptoms by now.

Customer:

Thank you so much. Those are all of the questions I have for you, I am sure I will have more for my OB.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good luck.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

Do you know how to by chance save this conversation to my computer so that I can referance it later?

Customer:

reference*

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think you have to print it.

Customer:

Okay, thank you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I don't know if you can save it or not...to your computer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it should show up in your account though when you sign in.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good night

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor