OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I was taking methotrexate for about 7 months for vasculitus.

I recently found out I...
I was taking methotrexate for about 7 months for vasculitus. I recently found out I am pregnant. I believe I was off of methotrexate for 2 weeks when I got pregnant. Are there still high chances of birth defects? I think I am currently about 4 weeks pregnant.
1/12/2013
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

when did you get off the methotrexate?

Customer: I am pretty sure it was two weeks before I got pregnant
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what dose?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

injection or pills?

Customer: Pills. I was taking 6 pills once a week. 15mg total
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm looking for the half life.

Customer: i was also taking folic acid when I was on the methotrexate. But stopped taking the folic acid when I stopped the methotrexate.
Dr. Pfeiffer :

we do use methotrexate to stop pregnancies in the event of early tubal pregnancies.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and we know it can cause problems, thus, is category x..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what I need to find is the half life to see if 2 weeks is long enough.

Customer: Okay
Dr. Pfeiffer :

and bear in mind....even category x does not mean that exposure will cause problems all the time...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

just that we know exposure can cause problems.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

give me a sec.

Customer: Okay.
Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the literature suggests at least 4 weeks after treatment for a woman

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and 3 months if the male was treated.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, there is a chance of miscarriage and/or birth defects unfortunately.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this is NOT an absolute...but, something you need to bring to the attention of your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that way you can receive early ultrasounds, possibly an amnioscentesis to ensure everything is ok.

Customer: Okay. Thank you for the information
Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome...I know it's not the best news

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but my honest medical opinion.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor