Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I have had 2 large 9lb babies and I am 31. I am not

I have had 2 large 9lb babies and I am 31. I am not overweight and I am in good health. After my first baby, I noticed that my insides were slightly coming out of the opening of my vagina. It got better after a while, however post my second child (and after a bad cough) I had it really bad.
I had seen a physiotherapist who recommended exercises which I did religiously, however it wasn't getting better. I went and saw my GP who said that pelvic floor exercises were not going to fix a double prolapse. I was referred to a gyno and by that stage I no longer had the cough and the prolapse was not as bad. She said that she could do the surgery but didn't recommend it.
I was really upset by her recommendation as she said that if she fixes it now using my own tissue to hold it up, then as I age it will happen again and then they will have to use a type of mesh and if I have the problem post menopause that there won't be any options to fix it.
So I left it at that. On the weekend I was jumping on a trampoline and completely wet myself, not only that, with every bounce it felt like my insides were not being held up. I went to the toilet, fully emptied my bladder, put a pad on and tried again and with every bounce it was the same and within 5 minutes filled the pad.
Do you think that I should be getting a second opinion to have the surgery?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm reviewing your post now.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

from the sounds of it...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you need surgery

Dr. Pfeiffer :

however, the surgeries you need really require you to be done with childbearing.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you are still planning on having children you might discuss the use of a pessary for the prolapse and incontinence.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you are done with having children you will benefit from suspension such as a sacralcolpopexy, anterior and posterior colporrhaphy.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The colporraphy surgeries without mesh last about 5 years.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

In addition to those procedures, sounds like you would benefit from a mid-urethral sling as you describe stress urinary incontinence.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Now, given the trouble you have gone through this far...I would encourage you to seek a urogynecologist who absolutely specialize in all of these procedures.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It's surprising to me the response of your gynecologist though, as these are all fairly common procedures.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you don't have additional questions please take the time to rate my service.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you do, simply type it in and I'll get right to it when I'm online.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Regards.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you have additional questions or need clarification please let me know.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If not, please rate my service good/excellent as we only get credit for helping with the positive rating.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer