Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I just want to know or get an opinion. I had the mirena

Hi
I just want to know or get an opinion. I had the mirena inserted at the end of November last year and have pretty much spotted ever since. I have been told it takes up to three months for this to settle and this is normal? For over two weeks I had extremely sore and tender nipples and breasts and very sooky (emotional). The last two days I have bled as if I have got my period so heavy and just feeling unwell. Yesterday I wanted to throw up all day and have cramping pains. I haven't slept well for the last two nights either. I woke up this morning and couldn't stomach food but managed to drink a cup of tea and are very shaky. I went to the toilet and a big almost grey blob of what I can gather is tissue came out? I have not seen this before...Is this normal.?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm reading your question now.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, you had your Mirena inserted about 2 months ago...correct?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

are you able to feel the strings?

Customer:

Yes on the 28.11.2012

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..about 6 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

do you feel the strings?

Customer:

yeah I can. Do not like it at all! lol. I have notice everytime when my partner and I have had sexual intercourse I bleed a little afterwards

Customer:

I am meant to feel them aren't I?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the being able to feel the strings means it is still in proper position.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I only bring that up because it sounds by your description if you're wondering if pregnancy might be possible.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I will tell you pregnancy is a remote possiblity, but should be exucled...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

excluded

Dr. Pfeiffer :

meaning you should take a pregnancy test.

Customer:

well I didn't consider that I was until this morning lol

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Sometimes the Mirena is inserted when a woman is ovulating or had just ovulated and conception can occur.

Customer:

I have never had discharge before like that and the other symptoms that I have had lately I just put it down to side effects of the mirena

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it is rare for a Mirena to fail, but not all practitioners place the Mirena during a woman's menstrual period either.

Customer:

ok so if I was and had lost it, a pregnancy test wouldn't show it up now would it?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, I believe it would be accurate now given it was 6 weeks ago

Dr. Pfeiffer :

like I said...when placed on a woman's period...they rarely fail.

Customer:

I suffer from PCOS and endometriosis. I go in for surgery roughly every 18 months. Have done IVF a couple of years ago with no luck. The mirena was the last straw as all other contraception doesn't agreee with me

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it placed somewhere else in the cycle it's possible to be in early pregnancy when it's inserted.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

got it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Well....what might be accounting for the symptoms is the combination of the two.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

There is an increase in ovarian cysts with the Mirena.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It's possible that's what's going on...and that causes an increase amount of estrogen, which can cause these symptoms.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The bleeding typically gets better the longer the Mirena is in.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I typically ask my patients to give it 6 months and then we can evaluate things then...understanding the first several months can be difficult.

Customer:

Difficult.. it is a pain in the backside. Ok that you for your help and advice. I shall do the pregnancy test but have no doubt it is just the Mirena... Just wanted to see if I was reading into something I shouldn't concern myself with.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

You're welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I don't think it's anything to concern yourself with..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if it persists follow up with your doc to evaluate removing it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

take care and good luck.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

ok thankyou

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome and thank you.