OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I always had a abnormal period but this year was different.

I only showed a little...
I always had a abnormal period but this year was different. I only showed a little spotting for three days in months May- September. I took a pregnancy test that read negative. Then in October I started my period that thought was regular. I been on that same period from October to now in December. It's heavy/light and I have had two big blood clots (a quater size and a clot size of two half-dollars).I've been walking alot lately and losing weight little at a time. After talking to my gyn. in April, for a prolonged menstrual bleeding cause from stress that last a month, she was worried that I may uterus or vaginal walls. She suggested I take brith-control pills or loss at least 15 lbs, so I chose to lose weight. Why was my gyn worried and why am I still on my period this long?
12/23/2012
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

from the sounds of it...it seems your doctor is concerned about you having polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

women who have this condition typically have difficulty loosing weight, but when they do, their cycle returns to normal.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

women with PCOS will have very abnormal periods...and that is due to not ovulating.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this causes increased levels of estrogen

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and...when that happens over years..it increases the risk of uterine hyperplasia (pre cancer) and even cancer.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the treatment is birth control pills to protect the lining of the uterus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and....metformin, a medication to help one's body use insulin better. It also helps with weight loss.

Customer:

What brand of birth control pill would you recommend?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

typically yaz or yasmin

Dr. Pfeiffer :

those two have a progesterone that helps with unwanted facial/chest hair and acne that are commonly seen with PCOS

Customer:

I've only heard bad reviews about it

Dr. Pfeiffer :

most likely because they are very popular.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there will always be some degree of side effects or complications with any medication used.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

lawyers will usually take that information and try to fish for a claim.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there has been suggestion that the progesterone in these pills increase risk of blood clots, but it has not been proven...

Customer:

What are the side effects for the medication?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

furthermore...pregnancy results in much higher hormone levels than these pills

Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually tolerated well.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

may cause nausea in some women.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

irregular bleeding for the first few month

Dr. Pfeiffer :

really any type of GI symptoms at least temporarily

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but overall, pretty good

Customer:

How long will I need to take it?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

until you decide to get pregnant.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

or...if you successfully loose weight and menstruate normally without the pill.

Customer:

Is there a natural way of producing it ?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

unfortunately, no

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, if there's nothing else please take the time to click excellent

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello?

Customer:

So, if i don't take birth control how high do you think i will end up having polycystic ovarian syndrome. I'm 24, 5'5" and 187lbs

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It's not something that you develop...rather something you have that is causing the abnormal bleeding, missed periods and may be contributing to your weight.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Typically we see women begin to menstruate on their own with weight loss of 10%...so, about 20 pounds for you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

You might talk to your doctor about using metformin to help with weight loss.

Customer:

What should i do with my prolonged menstrual now will it stop?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

normally provera 10 mg for 10 days....

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that stops the bleeding.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

then you will have a period

Dr. Pfeiffer :

then you would start a birth control pill

Customer:

Thanks for the help!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure...thanks and good luck

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor