Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I know it is crazy but I felt my cervix for the first time

I know it is crazy but I felt my cervix for the first time in the bathtub. I guess it was the angle??? Anyway I felt two bumps on my cervix, they are small & fairly hard. I went to get a routine pap, but didnt mention the bumps. I did ask the Dr if my cervix looked normal and he said yes. I figured if things looked abnormal he would notice. Should I go back to get another exam? Backgroung info-I have had an abormal pap several years ago & it came back that I had HPV. But the HPV went away & every pap since then has been normal. Also I do have a cyst on my left ovary. Not sure if that info helps or not. Im really concerned about these bumps so any information would help.
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you pap test as continued to be normal since the one abnormal you had previously, the bumps are not likely due to the HPV strains that cause abnormal pap tests and/or cancer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Now, there are two very common causes of bumps on the cervix.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

1) Nabothian cysts - benign, fluid filled cysts from a blocked oil duct.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

2) Warts on the cervix....caused by HPV, but not the strains that cause abnormal pap tests.

Customer:

ok, that is what I have been worried about-that the bumps are from the HPV. That was back in '05 or '06.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Certainly, I would have expected your doctor to mention something if there was an abnormality...especially since you asked.

Customer:

I cant remember what kind of HPV strand it was, so youre saying that the kind that cause an abormal pap dont even cause genital warts?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

And...if there were nabothian cysts...your doctor would have said everything is normal because we see them a lot.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...that's correct. Different strains of HPV

Customer:

Ok, I that makes me feel better. I am a worrier, and have been extremely concerned.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Cysts on the ovaries aren't related to these types of cysts (FYI).

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Well, doesn't sound like anything serious.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

What I would do is simply tell your doctor you feel bumps on the cervix and want to know what they are...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that takes away the response of 'normal'

Dr. Pfeiffer :

meaning...are there nabothian cysts, warts, etc.

Customer:

WOW-im so happy to hear you say that. Ive been so worried that they could be warts! I am still waiting to get the pap results back, so if everything comes back normal then I should be ok :)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes

Customer:

Ive read a lot of articles where Dr.'s tell women they cant feel their cervix. I dont want my Dr. to think im crazy :)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I have plenty of patients that can feel their cervix

Customer:

Thank you for your help, I feel a lot better. This is great because right now I dont have insurance, so it is hard to get the answers I need. You are a HUGE blessing. Can I ask one more question that I just thought of?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure

Customer:

Ok-like I said I am a worrier so ever since the pap I do routine checks in my lady area. Sometimes I get a pimple on I guess it its the vulva, around my inner lips. Just here and there maybe 2 a year. They look exactly like a pimple anywhere else. They arent ulcer like or anything. Im wondering if I am more prone to them because I am always very moist there & when I exercise I sweat a lot in general. Should I be concerned about those? Also should the texture on my inner lips, and vulva area be totally smooth? Mine isnt rough, but there is texture to it...this may sound funny but its almost like chicken skin :) Not bumps per se, but it isnt smooth like the skin on say my arm. Thanks!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so the vulva is like any other skin and you can get pimples there too...usually infected hair follicles.

Customer:

ok thats what i figured

Dr. Pfeiffer :

as for the texture...typically the skin is smooth, but there are natural folds giving it a texture.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, that said, genital warts also present that way.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so..it could be normal or it could be warts...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's the limiting factor of answering questions online...no physical exam and to comment definitely you need the exam.

Customer:

ok....that makes sense. i dont think its warts...what i feel is really small tiny "bumps" under the skin, like the folicle or pore is almost hard....but its been that way since i can remember hitting puberty. I didnt lose my virginity until 19 so i dont think its warts...its hard to describe...like i said chicken skin before its fried lol strange comparison i know :)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yep...got it...probably normal

Customer:

great! youve been a big help!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...good

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Customer:

ok well have a great day!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service good or excellent

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you too.

Customer:

I will! You definitely will get a pleasant rating! im very happy!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you