OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a question concerning pregnancy and pre-ejaculatye. If

Hello, I had a question...
Hello, I had a question concerning pregnancy and pre-ejaculatye. If there is pre-ejacul;ate in my urine and my girlfriend was accidentally exposed to it could it result in pregnancy? Does the acid in urine kill the spermazoa?
12/5/2012
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

would you mind providing the details of what happened so I can give you the best answer?

Customer:

sorry about the nature of this question. sure early in the day I had become arroused with pre-ejaculate, but didn't urinate until later. When urinating I regrettably got some urine on my toilets seat that my girlfriend later sat in. Its all embarrassing and gross I'm afraid

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Customer:

my concern was that some pre-ejaculate could have been in the urine

Customer:

and still active, is that possible

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the basic answer is there isn't anything to be worried about.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

first

Customer:

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

pre-ejaculate may contain sperm in very low concentrations.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

next, while semen is normal basic when the ph neutralizes in the vagina...slightly more acidic than urine, it becomes motile

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but if it becomes more acidic it again becomes less motile

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now

Dr. Pfeiffer :

when sperm cools it becomes immotile

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and...basically what your left with is this.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

some urine on a seat that may or may not have contained sperm.

Customer:

right

Dr. Pfeiffer :

by the time she used the seat...if there were sperm there they were probably immotile

Dr. Pfeiffer :

for pregnancy to happen...

Customer:

because of cooling, and lowered motility because of the acidity in urine?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

one of those sperm would have to penetrate the vagina, get into the cervical mucus then transvese the uterus and tubes...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

all while ovulation had occured within the previous 24 hours.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

more from cooling

Customer:

oh ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So...based upon these set of circumstances....

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would estimate the chances of her becomming pregnant similar to those of you winning the lottery.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

technically possible, but extremely unlikely.

Customer:

ok well thats very reassuring, can I also ask you, is there real risk of pregnancy when there isn't penetration? I have read different things online but I think they are just serving to confuse and muddle me.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

similar circumstance when ejaculation happens on the vulva.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

low chance of pregnancy, but technically possible.

Customer:

ok, thats good to get a expert answer not meant to keep 16 yr olds from having sex. So just to be certain, how long do you think it would taimmotile is that within minutes?ke as an estimate, for the sperm in urine like I describe to become

Customer:

Im sorry that was unclear I meant to say how long, as an esttimate do you think it would take for the urine sperm combination to cool as to be immotile is it a question of minutes?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

says you're typing...so I'll wait to answer that too

Customer:

sorry about that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no problem

Dr. Pfeiffer :

out in the open...probably 30 minutes or so

Customer:

oh okay, well thank you for answering all my questions and being so nice about the weird nature of it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no problem..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor