Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

My Doctor Prescribed Provera 10mg/day for 5-10days to stop

My Doctor Prescribed Provera 10mg/day for 5-10days to stop my prolonged period.However 4days later the bleeding stopped.should I contiune the course of Provera for the whole 10days or just stop since I'm no longer bleeding?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

We typically use provera to help 'phase' the endometrium after there is a hormonal imbalance, which causes this type of bleeding.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

To keep it somewhat simple and easier to understand....when a woman has a hormonal imbalance it's usually due to not ovulating.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

When ovulation doesn't occur there is no progesterone released, thus, the uterine lining remains in a growth or proliferative phase.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

This eventually causes it to become unstable and the bleeding ensues.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

When the progesterone is released (during ovulation) the uterine lining transitions to a secretory phase and a period will happen 2 weeks later if pregnancy does not occur.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So....that's what the phasing the uterine endometrium means.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Another thing progesterone does is stabilize the endometrial lining.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Now, the reason I bring this up...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

After 4 days, the progesterone may have simply stabilized the endometrial lining...thus, the bleeding stopped.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

And while this may have phased the endometrium completely...it equally may not have.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

therefore...it's typically best to take the full 10 days to ensure the entire uterine lining is phased appropriately

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Because, what happens when you stop the Provera is you will bleed again in 1-7 days with the anticipation to 'reset' your cycle.

Customer:

Provera has been effective,however doc wasnot clear on when to stop medication,and since its a hormonal drug,I want to know its safe to stop b4 10days

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If complete phasing hasn't happened...the heavy abnormal bleeding may happen again.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I see..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It's usually best to take the 10 days to ensure complete phasing of the uterine lining has occured.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

This will reduce the chances of recurrence of abnormal bleeding.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and again...you can expect to bleed 1-7 days after you stop taking the Provera

Customer:

ok thanks understand better now.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome...and thank you.