OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant but no…

My husband and I have...
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant but no luck. I just turned 35 so I feel like my window to having kids is lessening. What is the best way to ensure getting pregnant? Are there pills that can help?
12/2/2012
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

have you ever been pregnant before?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

has your spouse fathered any children before?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

are your periods regular?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

are you able to see my questions?

Customer:

I have been pregnant before and my husband has not fathered any children. My periods are regular

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

And you don't suffer from any problems such as acne, undesired facial or chest hair, obesity?

Customer:

no

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok. thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

how long have you been trying with your spouse?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sorry...I'm not seeing the answer to how long you have been trying with your spouse.

Customer:

we went to the doctor in march and started doing calendar planning as well as ovulation kits. we do not have sex as frequently as we would like due to our jobs and scheduling

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...so nearly 10 months..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

has your husband had a semen analysis done yet?

Customer:

no

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, before subjecting you to any invasive testing...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would start by having your husband do a semen analysis to make sure his sperm count is ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

There are some basic blood tests that can be drawn on you just to make sure your ovulating and to also check the status of your ovaries.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the blood test is a cycle day 21 progesterone level to see if you are ovulating.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the other tests can be done on day 3 and are basic hormone levels

Dr. Pfeiffer :

these can be done along with a medication called clomid..and that is called a clomid challenge test to evaluate your ovaries..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

or there is another test that doesn't matter on what day it is done called the AMH (antimullarian hormone) test.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that tells us how many small follicle are left in the ovaries.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If the semen analysis is normal and you are ovulating..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the next test is called an HSG (hysterosalpingogram) and checks to make sure the urterus is normal and the tubes are open.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

treatment for each of these potential causes of infertility are taylored to depending on the cause.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

low sperm count may be treated with IUI (artificial insemmination) or if it's really low may require IVF (in vitro)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you are not ovulating that can usually be helped with medications - the easiest one is clomid and is a tablet.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if there is a problem in the uterus or tubes, sometimes that can be corrected with surgery, but many times those problems will require IVF

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So...I would start with the semen analysis and then progress through the testing depending on the result.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sorry...I don't see any reply..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

simply shows me you are stepping in and out of the chat.

Customer:

to receive the clomid do i just schedule a regular dr visit?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well...yes, if the appointment is with a gynecologist

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I don't know if your primary doctor will prescribe it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

any other questions?

Customer:

no... thank you for your time

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome and good luck

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor