OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am at the end of my first trimester of pregnancy with my

Customer Question
first child. I haven't been...
I am at the end of my first trimester of pregnancy with my first child. I haven't been able to have a bowel movement for about 7 days. I have tried drinking a lot of fluids, Milk of Magnesia, eaten fruit, including prunes, stool softeners and nothing seems to work. Now I have severe stomach cramps and really need to go! Can you please tell me what I can try so I can go to the bathroom! Is it safe to take Correctol?
Thank you!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/9/2012
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

first thing is to increase water intake...I only specify water, because some women think soda, juice, etc constitutes fluid.

Next, you can get Miralax over the counter. That's what I typically use in situations like this. Limit the use to 1 week and make sure to drink lots of water along with it...directions are on the bottle.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. It says there is an answer, but the only thing I can read is your "Hello" to me. Am I doing something wrong?

see if you can look at the chat again...

If you don't see the answer I can type it here again.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
I got it, my apologies. Is it ok to take Correctol? I have tried Colace and it hasn't done anything!

I'm not aware of any problems correctol may cause in pregnancy.

I'd try the Miralax first..

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Thank you very much!
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor