OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Is 11 weeks to late to start progesterone for a subchorionic

bleed?...
is 11 weeks to late to start progesterone for a subchorionic bleed?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2012
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Customer:

hi

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I believe I answered your question in another post...

did you see it?

Customer:

no i didnt

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...same question..different user name

Customer:

is it to late to start progesterone at 11 weeks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

subchornic hematomas are common and typically go away on their own without treatment.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

progesterone is not necessary for subchorionic hematomas.

Customer:

ok i also have a short cervix but getting a cerclage soon so would progesterone help that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

do you have a history of delivering early?

Customer:

No i had a cerclage with my daughter it was found at 24 weeks and i made it to 37 weeks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...so, you have never delivered before 37 weeks?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and..you had a cerclage placed without having delivered early...just a 'short cervix'?

Customer:

yes just a short cervix. im worried about waiting to long for a cerclage and miscarring

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...got it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

progesterone is something that can be used for women with history of preterm labor.

Customer:

I dont think i will get a cerclage tell about 15 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

cerclage is usually done around 14-16 weeks to make sure that everything is ok with the baby...meaning no miscarriage and no birth defects.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this is normal timing....not too late.

Customer:

i have never had preterm labor

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the use of progesterone would be up to you and your doctor in that case.

Customer:

ok that makes me feel better. Thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure. you're welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service.

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor