Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I am married for 12 yrs with 2 children. I broke out with a

I am married for 12 yrs with 2 children. I broke out with a few ulcers on my bottom and flu like symptoms. My family Dr cultured me hsv2 came back + but my ob/gyn did blood DNA and the HSV1 came back - and also HSV2 came back - he said but the combined IGG and IGM came back +. This is traumatic to me. I haven't has sex with no one else but my husband and same for him but he keeps fever blisters a lot. Can you catch HSV2 from someone with HSV1? Please help. My husband is going for his labs Tues

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

HSV 1 and HSV 2 are different strains of the same virus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, you cannot get HSV 2 from someone infected with HSV 1 (cold sores)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you certainly can get HSV 1 in the genitals, but it doesn't normally cause the severe flu like symptoms.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If the HSV culture returned positive for HSV 2..it is gential herpes.

Customer: I have systemic lupus didn't know if that could cause it to be worse. I'm on plaque nil .could my husband be exposed 15 yr ago and it lay dormant or him be a carrier and never have no systems
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...that is certainly a possibility.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

in fact, about 1 in 5 people in the US have herpes and about 70-80% have no idea

Customer: What is IGG and IGM? How can blood come back - on 1and2 but combined it is + ?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

IgG and IgM are antibodies

Dr. Pfeiffer :

IgG takes longer to turn positive...and suggests an exposure in the past.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

IgM is usually positive at the time of a break out.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So..at an initial breakout...it is common for the IgG to be negative and the IgM to be positive.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

repeat the IgG in 6 weeks and it usually turns positive.

Customer: We r having him blood tested on tues. would that tell if it has laid dormant or if he is a carrier
Dr. Pfeiffer :

well..as long as it is returns positive it tells you he has it..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it doesn't tell you anything about the virus being dormant or active

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that varies..from months to years.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and is completely unpredictable.

Customer: If it comes back positive could he have been exposed 15 yrs ago and me just get it
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...that is certainly possible.

Customer: If we both have it then, is it nessesary to use condoms
Dr. Pfeiffer :

no

Customer: I tell ya, I feel like a fool. It is so embarrassing cause I have only been with my husband and he has no symptoms and I'm the one that has to suffer with the pain.my Dr gave me valtrex. Will I have to stay on this rest of my life
Dr. Pfeiffer :

No..not necessarily.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

valtrex can be used at the first sign of an outbreak or daily for a preventative medication.

Customer: Will he need meds if he has no symptoms
Dr. Pfeiffer :

if there are more than 6 outbreaks per year taking the valtrex daily will reduce the number.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no...the medication is simply to reduce the length of an existing outbreak, lower the number of outbreaks and to reduce chances of transmission.

Customer: If his is dormant and we have unprotected sex is his chances of breakout greater. And am I gonna have an out break when we have intercourse? Should we stay away from oral sex if there is NO outbreak
Dr. Pfeiffer :

well..once you have the antibodies the intercourse doesn't matter - oral or vaginal

Dr. Pfeiffer :

outbreaks are more a result of one's overall immune system.

Customer: I am so embarrassed to even have this conversation. Try doing your ob/gyn hair and his family too and I own a day spa inside his office and I feel everyone looking at me. Would something for anxiety help it stay in remission? My rheumatologist had
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...well, nobody should know anything about your doctor's appointment regardless of who they are...so you're probably over thinking it a bit.

Customer: me on Plaquinel and has winged me off it. Do u think I should go back on it. It suppresses my immune system. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten it before now. My immune system was overactive
Dr. Pfeiffer :

medication for anxiety isn't going to help...and anything that suppresses your immune system will increase the chances of outbreaks.

Customer: If he has hsv 1 should he not kiss our kids. They are 9 and 10
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..that's how a lot of kids get HSV 1

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if he has cold sores...he has HSV 1

Customer: He uses acyclovir. My son is starting to get a few about once a year. Is it safe to have intercourse is there is no visible sores
Customer: They run up and kiss him before he realizes it.
Dr. Pfeiffer :

well...once you have the virus there is no 'safe' time to have sex...as the virus can be transmitted with or without sores.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's why so many people have herpes and don't know it.

Customer: Well if I got it and he's got it....that the only safe sex we can have is with each other right...lol
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..you got that exactly right...and there would be no reason to use protection either.

Customer: could it have possibly been someone gave this to him and it has laid dormant for 14 yrs and I just be getting it?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...that is very possible.

Customer: i have an Mirana IUD in for 4yrs now. Should I have concerns with having that in
Dr. Pfeiffer :

no. not at all.

Customer: Should my husband contact the girl he was with before me and let her know if he is +
Dr. Pfeiffer :

if it's been over 12 years..I probably wouldn't go there.

Customer: So just by touching sores or intercourse is only way anyone could get this
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes

Customer: Dr. Pfeiffer, you have been so helpful to me. It's a lot easier to ask these questions through a computer rather that in person. thank you for you m
Customer: Your "middle of the night" info. Thanks again you were Great
Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..you're welcome.

If you have additional questions please ask…I want you to be satisfied with this service.

If you do not have additional question please take the time to rate my service.

We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.

Thank you.
Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: Is it normal to go through grieving, angry, blaming yourself when you know you didn't do nothing, ashamed. Ready to divorce my husband?
Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...but you have to slow down.

normal reaction, but herpes is so common

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and most women just assume their spouse cheated on them...but that can't be proven.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so..slow down, think through this, talk with your husband about it....after all the testing is done..

and remember your kids.

Customer: That what I heard. Used to if you had herpes your we're biggest whore ever was. Now Dr say a lot of people have it and a lot you know them and would never dream it. thank you again. Good Night
Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure.

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and again...please rate my service.

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: Do u get paid overtime for 3am calls...lol
Dr. Pfeiffer :

nope!!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's a good idea though.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

we only get paid if the customer is happy with the service and rates us positively.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my husband went and had blood test today if he test + for HSV 2, can it have laid dormant or he be a carrier for 13 yrs and I just get it. I just got my 1st breakout and my HSV swab came back + but my blood lab work for HSV 1 and HSV 2 came back - but my IGM came back +. Could he became incontact with it 13 yrs ago and I just get it cause my immune system is being suppressed with Plaquinel now? He says he hasnt been with noone since we been married

yes.

that is certainly possible for him to have contracted HSV years ago and you recently become infected.

Dr. Pfeiffer