OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Is HPV CLASS 2 a low or high risk for cervical cancer?

is HPV CLASS 2 a low or high risk for cervical cancer?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2012
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I just want to make sure that we are speaking the same language.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

By class 2 were you told CIN 2 by chance?

Did you have a colposcopy where the doctor examined your cervix with a microscope...and maybe took a biopsy?

Dr. Pfeiffer :
Dr. Pfeiffer :

are you there?

Customer:

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, I'm here.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please read and answer the questions above so I can provide you the best answer.

Customer:

honestly i dont know, this is for a friend of mine, she is scared becuase she was told she has HPV CLASS 2 without getting a real explaination what it is or if its high or low risk for cancer..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

class 2 isn't a term used in the US, but we do use a term called CIN 2

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I'm assuming that is what she was told she has.

Customer:

oh ok, yes i understand, my friend is Japanese,my apologies

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Technically speaking CIN 2 falls into the high risk category for cervical cancer.

That said, only about 10% of CIN 2 progresses to cervical cancer if no treatment is rendered.

Customer:

yes she was told she has that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Most of the time it goes away with time

Customer:

oh wow

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Once CIN 2 is diagnosed we typically remove the area with a procedure called a LEEP. This is a superficial excision of the area affected by the HPV.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

After that, she needs pap tests every 6 months until she has 2 normals and then back to yearly screening.

Customer:

ok, i understand that..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

CIN 2 is common and not something she needs to change her life over, but she needs to follow up with her doctor.

Cervical cancer is relatively rare now because we watch and excise pre-cancerous lesions such as these.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Does all this make sense?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok. Good.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

no for no but i really want to thank your for your help....greatly appreciated

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Great.

Please take the time to rate my service as 'excellent'

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you are welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

i will doc, i willl

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Customer:

doc i keep this convo to show her, she is on her way over now

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's fine

Customer:

sir, can cin2 be transmitted from person to person, should she get her partner tested?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

CIN is the result of an HPV infection.

chances are her partner had already been infected.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

We don't screen males because there are very few complications from HPV in males.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So..it's not the CIN that is transmitted, rather the HPV virus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

make sense?

Customer:

makes sense

Customer:

im just having a hard time explaning the difference between virus and infection...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

got it.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the virus is like any other virus...a cold for example.

it infects the cervix and the longer it is the deeper the infection.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the depth of the infection is how we determine if it is CIN1, CIN2, or CIN3

Customer:

i think she has it now, i told her about the cold comparison..once again doc thanks

Customer:

definitely excellent service

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

just make sure you rate my service as 'excellent'...that's how I get credit for helping you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Regards,

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor