OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am stressed and I am going through a divorce. My period…

I am stressed and I...
I am stressed and I am going through a divorce. My period has had to be forced once in the last 7 months, and I recall having only two periods naturally since march. I have not had sex since before March, and I tested negative for pregnancy. My abdomen is swollen, I get some white discharge, and cramping but that is it now. HELP
7/12/2012
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

Customer:

ok

DrK99 :

Certainly stress from a divorce can contribute to a lack of a cycle and lack of ovulation. Sorry for all you are going through

Customer:

i have been having fevers along with the lack of period

Customer:

along with body ache as well for months

DrK99 :

Its important to have some bloodwork done to rule out serious causes of missed periods-low thyroid or hyperthyroid, prolactin level, hormonal levels also.

DrK99 :

What has your temperature been?

Customer:

one degree below a fever

DrK99 :

What exactly?

Customer:

ranges from 99.5-100 when i ge tthe fevers

Customer:

it feels like i am getting sick but then it passes and i am very tired

Customer:

and weak

Customer:

i have been taking ibuprofin a lot to stop the fevers and pain

DrK99 :

In terms of the abdominal swelling, this must be evaluated with a pelvic ultrasound. You also of course need to have the blood work done,as noted previously as well as a blood count done. 99.5-100 is a normal body temp and not a fever so not to worry about that

Customer:

i understand i know i need to go to the doctor

Customer:

what are the possibilities that this could be

DrK99 :

Yes, the blood work is very important. Its likely that it is something very benign and that your lab work and ultrasound will be normal

DrK99 :

You are prob just not ovulating on a regular basis due to the stress of your life right now

Customer:

and what could the cramping be from i feel like i could get my period then it never comes and this has gone on for weeks

DrK99 :

This is actually premenstrual symptoms and is much worse since your period has not come. You may be cramping if its about to start but I see its already going on for weeks. It may be a good idea to consider being on the birth control pill until the stress in your like abates somewhat

Customer:

is there any alternative to that i have never done well on bc

DrK99 :

What about trying one of the new ultra low dose pills. I like Lo Loestrin Its a 10 mcg estrogen pill. Or the Nuvaring would be a good choice to consider

Customer:

i was on both and i got sick on them

Customer:

before i left my husband i was spotting an entire month and now this has happened is it possible it could be a std

Customer:

and could have my 3 d&cs caused this?

DrK99 :

Chlamydia or gonorrhea could cause this as the only symptoms. I doubt its from the D and Cs. Thats much less likely.

DrK99 :

You were sick on the Nuvaring? And did you take the Lo Loestrin at night? Was it Lo Loestrin or just Loestrin? Lo Loestrin is 10 mcg estrogen and Loestrin is 20 mcg estrogen.

Customer:

i was sick on lo loestrin it gave me nausea

Customer:

and the nuvaring caused a chemical taste in my mouth

DrK99 :

ok if you are not sexually active right now or using condoms you may just need to use provera a few months to trigger a period then

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i will make a appointment and ask about it

Customer:

thank you for your time

DrK99 :

You are welcome Thank you

Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD