OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Heyy, i have a few questions! does multiple ovarian

follicles noted bilaterally mean i'm...
heyy, i have a few questions! does multiple ovarian follicles noted bilaterally mean i'm ovulating? and by having a retroverted uterus, will it affect the chances of me getting pregnant?
7/6/2012
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Dr. C. :

I am glad to help you. Answers are intended to provide general medical information only.

Dr. C. :

It depends on the size of the follicles. Multiple follicles can also mean lack of ovulation with a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. In order to tell if this is the reason for the follicles, there are 2 questions:

Dr. C. :

1. Is there also evidence of too much testosterone, acne, hair growth?

Dr. C. :

2. Is the woman skipping periods?

Dr. C. :

If one of those are true, then a woman may meet the Rotterdam Criteria for diagnosis of PCO.

Dr. C. :

In other cases if the follicles being counted are "antral resting follicles", this is a sign of fertility and probably ovulation.

Dr. C. :

Please ask questions if you have any.

Customer:

no ma'am....none of that!the multiple follicles measures 2.3 x 1.7 x 1.9 cm..

Customer:

i've had a pelvic ultrasound done and found this out,but they didn't too much explain

Dr. C. :

Was that the size of the follicles? Or the overall size of the ovaries? How many follicles were seen and were they all the same size?

Dr. C. :

If you could get a copy of the report it would be helpful.

Customer:

i have one.... do you want me to type everything or just the impression part??

Dr. C. :

First the impression.

Dr. C. :

If that doesn't tell me enough then the description of each ovary.

Customer:

1. retroverted uterus 2.multiple ovarian follicles noted bilaterally 3.hemorrhagic ovarian cyst noted on the right 3.no adnexal mass

Customer:

but i also have the cm of everything too..

Dr. C. :

Yes. There should be a description of each ovary.

Dr. C. :

It should have the overall size of the ovary and the number of follicles in each plus measurement of the largest of the follicles or something giving an idea about the size and number of follicles.

Customer:

yes, it says the uterus measures 6.7 x 10.8 cm sagittal dimension. the uterus measures 5.7 x 7.2 xm and is retroverted. tranvserse measurement of the uterus is 7.4 cm. the right ovary contains multiple follicles and measures 2.3 x 1.7 x 1.9 cm. there is a hemorhaggic cyst measuring 0.7 cm involving the right ovary. the left ovary measures 1.6 x 2.4 x 1.25 and contains multiple follices.

Dr. C. :

Ok, this description is consistent with a woman who is ovulating. The multiple small follicles described are follicles waiting to produce eggs in the future.

Dr. C. :

The hemorrhagic cyst is evidence that the woman recently ovulated.

Dr. C. :

Why was the ultrasound done?

Dr. C. :

There are other explanations too possibly.

Customer:

because i was having lower abdomen pain, maybe because i was ovulating.. i was just told that i wasn't ovulating at all...

Dr. C. :

The discomfort may have been caused by the hemorrhagic cyst.

Dr. C. :

I wonder why they told you you weren't ovulating. Did you have any blood tests done? The periods are regular coming monthly? Are you on conctraception?

Customer:

yes i did... and yeah, they average anywhere from 24-28 days..my last one was 28 days it strarted on the 29th of june... so, do u have an idea of when i'll ovulate??

Customer:

and no im not on that

Dr. C. :

Because there is a cycle variation of 4 days, expected ovulation will be a range of 4 days.

Dr. C. :

Ballpark will be between July 10th-16th.

Dr. C. :

If a woman wants to be pregnant, having sex every other day starting July 10th would be helpful.

Customer:

ok..thank you so much! you were a BIG help..cause i've been trying.. i guess not on my ovulation day,but i've actually just started back having sex after 1 whole year.. so, im trying now.. since june

Customer:

i'm just glad the multiple follicles mean i ovulated...

Dr. C. :

That is a very short time.

Dr. C. :

Having sex 2-3 times weekly, 80% of women will be pregnant within 6-8 months.

Dr. C. :

That seems like long when you want it NOW.

Dr. C. :

If a man ejaculates too often, it will lower the sperm count. SO the 2-3x weekly should be no masturbating on the side for him.

Dr. C. :

Otherwise it may be closer to the 8 month range rather then next month.

Customer:

yes, that is a very long time.. i've fallen pregnant within two months before,but i had an abortion...

Dr. C. :

Sorry that time wasn't a good time. But it is a sign that you won't have any trouble now.

Customer:

and yes, we had started at the beginning of this month everyday,but i guess we have to stop.and do it every

other day

Dr. C. :

Yea, sometimes thats a tough one. I remember what it was like when I was you're age.

Customer:

what time wasnt the right time?

Dr. C. :

:)

Customer:

but you were a big help.. thank you!

Dr. C. :

Last time you got pregnant.

Customer:

oh yeah.. i hope it'll be easy when we try next week.. "fingers crossed"

Dr. C. :

Good luck!

Customer:

thanks...

Customer:
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
hey
hey, i wanted to know if i had sex everyday this month and the last day was this morning around 3 a.m, willl i be in time for ovulation????
From previous information given, the estimate for next ovulation was July 10 to the 16th range. So having sex every other day between the 10th and the 16th should catch ovulation. Good luck!
i know u sick of me.. lol but i have one LAST question! i just got a positive opk test, it is possible that i can get pregnant if i had sex mon-wedns and just got the positive today at 3;00 p.m???? the last time i had sex was wednesday morning at like 3 a.m
No not sick of you at all!! We are here to answer your questions and provide great service :)

Yes it is possible to still get pregnant. Sperm can typically live inside a woman for 3 days and sometimes even up to 7 days. Ideally, if you did want to be pregnant, you could have sex again tonight or tomorrow morning. But it is possible even with last sex Wednesday morning.
thanks! im hoping i do get pregnant! he's gone now to play ball.. so, i wouldn't be able to tonight :( but my fingers are crossed for the wednesday sex! thank u! but yes, today was my 1st + opk!
Ok, good luck. I hope you have a positive pregnancy test in 2 weeks!
hey,well i missed my O date due to him leaving :( when will be a time to try this cycle?? my length, it was 25 days this time.. from june 29th until july 23.. i started my cycle on the 24th of july..
anytime between August 7th and August 12th will be expected time of highest fertility. It would be the 7th if you have another 25 day cycle but the 10th if you have a 28 day cycle this time. If you have a 30 day cycle it will be the 12th. Please ask questions if you have any. But having sex every other day between the 7-12th should catch the next ovulation.
ok.. i just got my cervical mucus today "egg white" does it last all dAY? because i plan on trying as soon as i get off work at 7 :)
When an egg is released, it has a life of 24-48 hours. Sperm usually lives up to 3 days. It seems a little early for ovulation based on the cycle history you gave above. But going every other day between now and the 12th should catch it.
ok..because this was my first 25 day cycle and the one before was 27
The longer cycle would push the ovulation day further out. With a 30 days cycle, ovulation would most likely be on the 12th, 28 day cycle on the 10th, 25 day cycle the 7th.
ok..thanks! and another last question, since i got my mucus today, u say i should start today right?
It won't hurt but it seems too soon. It sounds like ovulation is more likely between the 7th and the 12th.
ok thanks..
You're welcome. Good luck this cycle.

hey..so the other months u told me i would ovulate, i wasn't able to have intercourse..this cycle, u said i would more likely to have ovulated august the 7th-12lth,... i had what i THINK was a cycle on the 17th, it was light all day "no flow" and kind of heavy the 18th and that was the last day..it was gone the 19th and came back the 20th for an hour and left..it ususally lasts 4, 5 days.. then all of a sudden on the 26th i got light, very light pink spotting when i wiped and it left, then on the 27th it came back,it was a lot of pink blood, and then left and never came back.. that was my 1st time experiencing that. do u think i could be pregnant, could it be implantation or ovulation bleeding??

it's possible that it's implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding happens around the time the normal period is expected. Sometimes it starts a bit early but other times a bit late. Its common for the bleeding pattern to be off and for there to be a stop start pattern. If there is a pregnancy from sex around August 7-12 range, a home test would be positive by now. SO you can run a home test if you like. Using the first urine in the morning gets a positive test sooner earlier in the pregnancy. Keep me posted and please REPLY if you have further questions.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified

ok..thanks.. i'm hoping! and i'll keep u posted...

hey..well, here is an update... i was due for my cycle on the 9th and it has not came yet..but like 5 minutes ago, i had very very light pink discharge, now it's gone.. what do u think it could be?

This could be the very start of the period. Sometimes it can have a start stop start pattern. If so, it should come on in the next 1-2 days more strongly. If not another pregnancy test if its possible still that there is a pregnancy.

ok hey..i just found out i was pregnant, and in my report, it says... "bacteria,Ur ''trace A''.. ref.range (negative-) & also says leukocyte esterase, UR ''postive A'' ref range (negative-) what does this mean? does it mean i have an std or something bad?? i went to the e.r, would they have told me if i had an std?

This is most likely an early bladder infection, not an STD. Usually they would send the urine for a culture. You should drink a lot of water and follow-up on whether there a culture was sent or not. Please REPLY if I can clarify anything. Congratulations!!
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified

thank you.. and how is a culture to test for an std such as chlamydia done? a vaginal swab?

Chlamydia can be taken off a urine sample if it's specifically asked to be done. But more commonly, chlamydia and gonorrhea are done from a separate swab taken from the cervix or done off of a pap smear.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Hey I've been trying to conceive.. I had a little amount of blood that turned into pink spotting on September 2.. Then September 6 I had pink spotting again .. What is that? My last cycle was August 24 2013.. I have 24 day cycles
This might have been ovulatory bleeding. Many women have some slight spotting around the time they release their egg. The way we count cycle length is from the first day of bleeding of one period to the first day of bleeding of the next period. If your cycle length is really 24 days, this is at the very low end of normal. Many women count wrong, counting from the end of the bleeding of one period to the start of the bleeding of the next. With the information above, the bleeding came on cycle day 10 and again day 14. The bleeding on cycle day 10 would match an egg release for a 24 day cycle. While the bleeding on day 14 would match a 28 day cycle. The best thing to do is to run a pregnancy test if the period is late and continue to track the bleeding. If not pregnant within 6 months of trying, with sex 2-3 times weekly, it would be a good idea to seek help. Taking a supplement that contains myo-inositol may help improve ovulation. This b-vitamin is found in the supplement Pregnitude. Please REPLY if I can clarify anything else.
Thanks ! & yes , my cycles have just recently regulated to 24 days apart since July.. Do to fetileaid .. I used to have a 25,26 day cycle,. Maybe 27. Now it's 24 every time.. & yes the spotting did occur at 9:30 p.m on the 2nd and like 2:30 p.m on the 6th.. I know it couldn't have been implantation .. & also I had the egg white mucus Friday around 2 a.m & had intercourse that morning around 8:15 a.m .. Then later like around 2:30 that day, I had the pink spotting on tissue .. I had what I think was ovulation pain in my right ovary Monday and that Friday as well
The bleeding may have been related to ovulation. Spotting w ovulation doesn't always happen at exactly the time the egg is released. There are some hormonal changes that can causes spotting around that time and also some bleeding can come from the egg release. If there was egg white mucous on Friday, that was the 6th. The timing sounds hopeful with sex the following day.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Thanks . I have a few last questions, that morning I told you about , September 6th at about 2:30 a.m, i got the ewcm... & didn't have intercourse until 8:15 a.m, .. Did I still have the chance to conceive? Or I would've had to have sex when I saw the clear mucus? When I did it, i checked and it was watery & very white.. How long does it take the sperm to travel through? I also used preseed, forgot to mention.. I got very light pink spotting at 2:30 that afternoon as well , as I earlier mentioned..& this was my very last day getting the mucus & spotting .. The second was my first day getting the mucus
Luckily a released egg typical lives 24-48 hours. So have sex that soon after egg release seems like good timing. The sperm can be at the egg within just a few minutes. Also sperm can typical live inside a woman for up to 5 days, so having sex a few days earlier during the September 4, 5, 6 dates may also result in a pregnancy. Good luck!!
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
You have the best information on here.. That's why I keep asking you things lol . I'm giving a tip this time... Okay after all that of what I told you . The watery clear cm Friday and today like around 30 minutes ago , I had very thick white mucus . i checked & on my finger, it was alot . What could that be? I know it's not early pregnancy discharge..
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Mucous discharge is nearly always from the glands on the cervix. This can be clear like with ovulation but also from time to time one of the gland pores gets blocked and the mucous can back up. This can be released suddenly and can have color to it. It can be white, yellow, brown or any other color. But if it's the consistency of mucous (like snot), it's from the cervical glands and not usually the sign of any infection or problem.

The blocked glands are sometimes visible on the cervix and are called "Nabothian cysts". Most gynecologists have seen dozens and even hundreds of these during their careers. Sometimes we get referrals from less experienced doctors who see them on a womans cervix and think something is wrong. These cysts do pop from time to time and can cause the sudden colored mucous that you describe.
Thanks & it was more of a bright white color.. It wasn't too sticky. It was water very thick and white.. This is the first month I've gotten these symptoms .., from the spotting , to this..& my cycle isn't due until the 16th
If not sticky, it could be other things besides cervical mucous. Very thick and white, curdy can be from a yeast infection but usually there will be itching and burning. Sometimes the walls of the vagina will slough off from irritation and cause a thick white discharge that isn't mucousy. Usually in a situation like this, it's helpful to examine. I'll usually check the pH, smell the discharge and look under the microscope at it in order to be able to tell what I think it is. It's much harder to come to a conclusion without being able to examine it.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Okay , I'll just wait and see what happens.. That happened 7dpo ..
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified