OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been with the same man for almost 3 years. I was on…

I have been with the...
I have been with the same man for almost 3 years. I was on the patch for the first year then I switched to implanon (in the arm) for over a year. I did not like the side affects so I had it taken out and started the patch again right after in conjunction with my cycle. I have now been having cervical pain during intercourse and have seen the doctor for it. I have recieved medication for vagititis, yeast infection, and an over production of my vaginial bacteria. I am now experiencing vaginal discharge that does not have the thickness of mucus but is actually ALL pink. There is a slight odor when it comes out but it is not consistant. I thought it was my period but after pads, tampons, and intercourse only the discharge comes out for a little while and thats it. I have not had a real period in so long that I cant remember the last time. My breast have been a 32B since highschool and have gone to a 36B in the last 3 months. I can run 2 miles a day now and have not lost or gained any weight regardless of changing my eating habits. I have done an at home pregancy test and its negative. Please help. I really don't know what to do anymore.
6/5/2012
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Dr. C. :

I am glad to help you. Answers are intended to provide general medical information only.

Dr. C. :

Let me read your question carefully.

Dr. C. :

It does sound like a thyroid level should be checked.

Dr. C. :

If there is consistent cervical pain with intercourse despite some treatments with antibiotics, a cervical culture should be taken. Also an ultrasound may be helpful.

Dr. C. :

Having a prolactin level also checked may be a good idea.

Dr. C. :

Thyroid disease can cause trouble with weight. Prolactin hormone elevations can cause breast discomfort.

Dr. C. :

It is also possible that a different form of contraception may be a good idea, perhaps one of the IUDs.

Dr. C. :

With the patch it is typical to have some bleeding during the week off the patch.

Dr. C. :

It sounds as though there may be a few things going on that would benefit from some attention.

Customer:

What can cause prolactin hormone levels to elevate? My birth control has been the patch for many years and i have tried others but have never had this come up before. the implanon gave the side affects of pregnancy without being pregnant as well as unpredictable periods. my breasts did hurt for 2 weeks than after that, they just expand on their own.

Dr. C. :

We don't know why prolactin levels go up outside of pregnancy. It is fairly common though. If the level is high, there is a medication that can get the level down. SOmetimes the condition goes away by itself. Other times if the elevation is very high, a part of the gland is removed.

Dr. C. :

Yes Implanon does have some annoying side effects.

Dr. C. :

If a womans natural periods (not using any form of hormonal contraception) are not very heavy or painful, the non-hormonal Paragard IUD can be a good choice.

Dr. C. :

It does sound like there is something hormonal going on not quite right.

Dr. C. :

I saw you were typing but cannot see what you typed. Can you please type again?

Dr. C. :

If we continue to have trouble in chat mode, Ill switch to QA format.

Dr. C. :

Any other questions?

Customer:

I have asked repeatedly these questions and thus all the medications. my doc does not recommend the UIDs for i have not had a child

Customer:

Is there anything i can do on my own to fix this?

Dr. C. :

It sounds as though perhaps having a second opinion with a different doctor may be helpful.

Dr. C. :

It sounds as though you have not gotten the help you need from the provider you have been seeing.

Dr. C. :

IUDs can be used by women who have not had children.

Dr. C. :

The main issue is to be sure that there is no exposure to chlamydia or gonorrhea.

Dr. C. :

That is true whether a woman has an IUD or not.

Dr. C. :

IUDs can be trickier to place in women who haven't given birth but an experienced provider has placed IUDs in women who haven't had children hundreds of times.

Customer:

those tests are run as well. I'm military so i have been poked and proded for just about everything. i only have one provider to go to unless i pay out of pocket for my own care. and of course tht gets $$$

Dr. C. :

http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/2012/04000/Health_Care_Provider_Attitudes_and_Practices.11.aspx

Dr. C. :

Here is an article about misconceptions that doctors have about using IUDs in women who haven't been pregnant.

Dr. C. :

Which of the tests that I mentioned have already been done?

Dr. C. :

Here is the list:

Dr. C. :

1. thyroid check with a test called "TSH with reflex T4"

Dr. C. :

2. prolactin level

Customer:

chlamydia and gonorrhea. as well as HPV.

Dr. C. :

3. cervical/vaginal culture (not specifically for chlamydia or gonorrhea but a more general culture)

Dr. C. :

4. pelvic ultrasound

Dr. C. :

I'm sorry that you don't have access to a different provider.

Customer:

3 and 4 have been done in the past. they said there were no significant results to report

Dr. C. :

I worked on a naval base so I know the system.

Customer:

thank you for your understanding

Dr. C. :

So an ultrasound has been done since the cervical pain started?

Customer:

yes

Dr. C. :

There are a couple of things that can cause cervical pain with sex that cannot be seen on ultrasound.

Customer:

my cervix is in the right place and there are no abnormalities that the doctor saw

Dr. C. :

Endometriosis can do that. It causes painful periods and can cause cervical pain.

Dr. C. :

Adhesions can do that. It's scar tissue from previous infections, appedicitis (especially if ruptured) or previous surgery.

Customer:

what is it exactly?

Customer:

i still have all my organs...can you catch either of those?

Dr. C. :

It's when the tissue along the lining of the uterus that a woman has a period with ends up outside the uterus.

Dr. C. :

We don't understand why this happens but it does run in families.

Customer:

sounds painful and uncommon

Dr. C. :

It is very common actually.

Dr. C. :

And often underdiagnosed.

Dr. C. :

All gynecologists have seen hundreds of women with endometriosis during their careers.

Dr. C. :

The only way to diagnose it is to look with a camera, a day surgery called diagnostic laparoscopy.

Dr. C. :

But it usually causes painful periods along with the cerivcal pain during sex. Not usually just the painful sex by itself.

Dr. C. :

Any other questions?

Customer:

thats it. thank you so much

Dr. C. :

Ok, I hope you get some relief soon. It sounds very frustrating.

Customer:

very

Dr. C. :

Please click accept so I'm credited from the deposit.

Dr. C. :

Please ask follow-up questions into this post if you think of any later.

Customer:
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified