OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

For the past 5 days I have had excessive rectal bright red…

Customer Question
Hello, For the past 5 days...
For the past 5 days I have had excessive rectal bright red bleeding. For the past 6 years I have suffered from major constipation issues. For the past year however, this excessive bleeding has occured every couple of months and usually last 2-4wks at a time and happens even when I do not have a bowel movement. My stomach is always bloated and crampy but I think this might just be due to my ongoing bowel problem. However, the past 3 months I have lost 11lbs, (I am only 21 and have had a constant weight of 120 for the past 4 years until just recently). And I am always extremely tired for no apparent reason.
My major concern is the bleeding because especially this time around there is just so much of it everytime I use the restroom.
Please Help!
Thank You!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/8/2012
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Rectal bleeding does need to be evaluated further especially for problems concerning UC - Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and other possible causes.
So, you need a colonoscopy - a camera in the rectum.
This could also be hemorrhoids too.
So, please get this seen as soon as possible
If you have more questions, please ask
Unlikely this is IBS - as IBS does not cause bleeding.

Ok thank you for your feedback.

I just have one more question and its a bit silly, but everytime Ive gone to a doctor such as the gastro or even my primary they have just waved it off as IBS and even when I asked if I could have some sort of screening just to be safe they blew it off and nothing was ever done. I honestly do not know how to be more expressive in my wants of getting screened/checked. What should I do about this?

Well tell you what.......

I would tell you to print this out - and take it to your doctor -
Because IBS just does not present really as all this bleeding - and you really need a colonoscopy - that is the Standard of Care.

I hope this helps, Please provide Excellent feedback
Thank you
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)