OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Can penicillin cure a yeast infection?

Customer Question
can penicillin cure a yeast infection?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: OB GYN
5/2/2012
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN replied 6 years ago
Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Hi. Unfortunately, no, it can in fact cause a yeast infection.

Dr. Lawrence :

Antifungal medication rather than an antibiotic is appropriate for treating a yeast infection.

Dr. Lawrence :

An oral medication such as diflucan is often prescribed.

Dr. Lawrence :

Alternatively, you can try over the counter medications such as the monistat products.

Customer:

I asked because i am on penicillin now for some dnntal work. The yeast nfection has gone on for a couple of weeks and I am going crazy.

Dr. Lawrence :

How long are you going to be on the penicillin for?

Dr. Lawrence :

Are your symptoms inside your vagina or on the outside, or both?

Dr. Lawrence :

Are you able to see my questions?

Dr. Lawrence :

I would recommend one of two things...

Dr. Lawrence :

You can call your gynecologist and ask them to prescribe diflucan for you. You can take one now, and then take another dose upon completion of your penicillin course. Or, you can try the over the counter products such as any of the monistats. If the outside of your vagina is also itching, then you can also use lotrimin (athletes foot medication) twice a day on the outside for 1-2 weeks in addition to the other medications I mentioned.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Customer:

I am sorry to have missed a couple of your questions, Ill try try the suggestion you gave . Thank you

Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN