OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Umbilicord hernia while pregnant

Umbilicord hernia while pregnant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2012
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you mean you have an Umbical Hernia (around your belly button)?
Yea
How many weeks pregnant are you ?
5 weeks almost 6
Okay - well usually an umbilical hernia is not much of a concern but eventually it does NEED to be repaired - but we usually do not recommend repairing this in pregnancy because essentially your uterus will eventually grow and block the hernia at your belly button.
And hence it can be repaired after you deliver your baby.
Now, if this is a problematic hernia then a general surgeon should evaluate it to see if a repair really is necessary, but usually it is not.
I hope this helps, thank you
What's a problematic hernia? I'm having a c-section can they remove it after?
Well there is nothing to remove they can fix this VERY easily during the c-section - it really just takes a few sutures and that is all.
I hope this helps, and Please click on ACCEPT for answering your question as this is the only way we get compensated for helping you, thank you
Is this dangerous for the baby? I don't know how I got the hernia. 3 days ago I was fine
I have to opt out, take care.
Camille-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
I am glad to help you. Answers are intended to provide general medical information only. Umbilical hernia during pregnancy is due to a couple of things. First the progesterone hormones soften all the tissues of the body, making any weak areas easy to stretch. Also the increased pressure inside the abdomen from a growing uterus puts pressure on the weak spots from inside. Women who have had previous surgery, had previous pregnancies, are overweight or genetically prone will be at higher risk of having hernia. It can easily be repaired at time of surgery with a few stitches as Dr. Owen said. Please ask questions if you have any. I'm very happy to provide more explanation if you like. Glad to help!!
Will the pain get worse later? Like when the baby starts moving. Is there anything that can make the pain stop?
It may get worse. In such a case a woman can get fitted with a special abdominal binder to put outside pressure on the hernia to keep it in. If this is an issue then discussing with your doctor will allow them to order a special binder or tell a woman where to get one nearby.
The pain only starts when I touch it. Today at the dr visit the de press on it and it started hurting. Will the baby be safe with this whole hernia?
This is not at all harmful for the baby. It only causes discomfort and pain for the mother. Please ask more questions if you have any. I'm glad to help!!
Y does it hurt if its so small? What can I do to avoid getting it bigger
It hurts so much because the lining of the abdomen under the muscles has a lot of nerve endings. The lining is being pinched in between the muscles and thicker layers of the abdominal wall. To avoid it getting bigger, not straining with bowel movements, not lifting heavy objects and being fitted with a specific hernia binder will help it from getting bigger and more painful. Anything else I can answer today?
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
That's it thank you so much!
Ok, glad to help. Please feel free to ask more questions on follow-up if you think of any. Hope it doesn't get bigger or more painful and good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!
I have another question does the hernia cause bladder discomfort?
Usually not. What kind of discomfort?
I feel a bit discomfort after I pee. On the vagina part. I don't know if it's a uti. I woke up like this today
It could be an early UTI. Usually in such situations we have a woman drink lots of water and take cranberry extract. If symptoms don't resolve in a few days or get worse, the urine should be checked for infection and antibiotics prescribed if needed. It is common to get urinary frequency in early pregnancy, having to go often but it usually doesn't hurt.
Does the antibiotics affect the baby? Or uti
We don't like to give unnecessary antibiotics to anyone whether pregnant or not. Certain antibiotics are safe to use during pregnancy. But if we use them when we don't really need to, it can increase strains that are resistant to antibiotics and are harder to treat in the future. Having a UTI is not harmful in pregnancy except if it gets out of control and travels up to the kidneys causing "pyelonephritis", an infection of the kidneys that causes fever and flank pain. Drinking water until urine is light yellow and taking cranberry extract can wash a mild infection out.
I been drinking lots of water since I found out I was pregnant and my urine still looks yellow
Sometimes vitamins can make the urine look darker. Is that possible?
I feel like its the hernia that ms giving me discomfort since its under my belly button
That's possible. I remember we had a different post I was responding to about the urachus. It's possible that the hernia is pulling on that ligament which runs right down the middle towards the bladder. Sounds uncomfortable.
it is. I feel it from the hernia down.
ok, anything else? Glad my information has been useful.
Just u said the only way to reduce the pain is by buying a Hernia binder?
That is one way. Not straining with bowel movements, no heavy lifting, applying a heating pad if needed. We talked about not using one for more than 10 minutes over the uterus right now. First 12 weeks are important for not overheating the baby. Usually surgery is not recommended until after pregnancy because the pressure from the increasing size of the uterus and baby don't allow proper healing of a hernia repair. It may be one of those pregnancy things that you can get some relief from but will be an annoying discomfort that is the price to pay for another beautiful baby.
I'm having a c-section cant I get it removed then?
they can repair the hernia at that time. It is easy to do at time of c-section. Be sure to talk to the doctor ahead of time about it to be sure.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
I will thank you so much for the info
I'm very glad to help. I hope it doesn't get too bad as the pregnancy progresses. Good luck.