Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.
Doctor, can you please answer a ? for me because other wise I will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon for my doctor to call and explain. I have been having extreme amount of frequent urination since 2nd trimester of my pregnancy and now I am 3 weeks postpartum and still going pee every 1 hour to hour & half and I have a constant urge. they did a test for a UTI and the culture results just came back online, but I do not understand them. I am going to copy and paste them and can you please tell me if I have a UTI, and if so, what is the antibiotic I need to be on? Thank you so much
it says final report is Greater than 100,000 COL/ML ENTEROCOCCUS AND right below it , it says ORGANISM: ECOC
does this mean i have a UTI?
This is actually a big relief for me because this whole time I have been thinking I have IC or an overactive bladder and was going to see the urologist. I have some followup ?s to ask you
1) In terms of a UTI, since I have it, do you think that is why I am going pee every 1 hour and such urgency? Or do you think even though I have a UTI, I still could have overactive bladder? I do not have any burning with the frequent urination.
2) as far as the organism that showed up in culture, which one of these antibiotics specifically would get rid of the specific bacteria that I have?
3) also, is it normal to go pee every hour with a UTI?
Thank you. I have never been diagnosed with overactive bladder. I was going to go have the cystoscopy done to find out in 2 weeks.
- in your professional opinion, is this a common UTI after having given birth 3 weeks ago and do you think my urinary problems will go away after the antibiotics?
- If I do end up having an overactive bladder, are the medications that are available like deterol going to make me pee like a normal such as 5-6 times a day, or would the medication only improve the frequency and have me go pee from every hour to every few hours?
sorry to bother you, I am confused. How can I know if this frequency is from the UTI or if I even have an over active bladder? How is an overactive bladder diagnosed? Because I assumed that my frequency and urge of urination will go back to normal after I finish the antibiotics, but you think I will still have OAB?
My ob doctor just sent me an email saying she saw that I do have a UTI and has prescribed me amoxicillin antibiotic. This is not one of the antibiotics you mentioned above.
Does this antibiotic work for the specific bacteria that I have? and also, I am very prone to nausea and vomiting, will this antibiotic cause me a lot of nausea ?
wanted to let you know I started the antibiotic for the UTI last night. So far I have taken 3 pills and my next dose is in about 2 hours. I am still feeling the same amount of frequent and urge to urinate. Is this normal? How long does it take before the frequency and urge go to normal?
Thank you. So if after the antibiotics are gone if I still do not have relief from the frequency, would they normally have me test again to see if the UTI is still there. and if the UTI is still there, what do they do at that point?
They just checked me again for a UTI and it came up negative, so the antibiotics apparently cleared up the infection, however, I am still going pee 1-2xs an hour and have constant urgency. I think I have over active bladder and I wanted to ask you some ?s about it
1) I never had this problem til about 10 months ago. I used to go pee only about 4xs a day. What do you think caused this? and do you think its permant or will go away?
2) if they give me deterol LA, will it only slightly make me go pee less or will it put me back to normal at 4-6xs a day of urination?
3) if the medications do not work for me or I can not tolerate the side effects of them, what is my solution to this problem? This is incredibly debilitating for my life as I can not go to movies, party, etc.
Do you think this is a permanent problem or will go away?
- also, in terms of if the medication, how much of the urge and frequency of urination will the Deterol LA bring to me? I mean will it bring me back to urinating like I used to 4-6xs day? or will it be only slightly effective in bringing down the urge and frequency?
Hi, wanted to update you that I had a KUB ultrasound done and everything came up normal, I also had a cystoscopy done and that too showed everything was normal. I am literally unable to do much or go out of the house much as I am urinating 1-2xs an hour and even when I go pee, I still constantly feel the urge,
You said many times this goes away, in your experience with patients, how long does it usually take before this goes away? I have been dealing with this for almost a year now,
also, if I am urinating around 25-30xs a day, in your expereince, does detrol LA 2mg have enough of an effect to stop the bladder spasms completely to where I would only pee 4-5xs a day or will it only help a little bit to the point that I will still pee over 10xs a day?
So at this point, are you saying that the detrol would not stop this for me?
and as far as this interstim, does this completely stop the bladder spasms and urgency symptoms and are there any big risks such as having to use intermittent catherer , because I do not want to be using cathers as I am only 33 yrs old
No, I think there was a misunderstanding, I have not tried the detrol yet, they want to consider giving it to me at my next appointment,
Thats is why I am asking you, in your experience, does the detrol usually make this problem I am having stop to where I am peeing at a normal 4-5xs a dayl, or will it only help a little?
thank you but what I am specifically asking you is - in your experience, will the detrol stop these spasms and I will go back to peeing like I used to a year ago about 4xs a day, or will it just help a little in your experience?
Hi Dr Own, I saw the urologist today & had a post residual ultrasound done as well as a cystoscopy. The pvr number was 79 which doc said means I am emptying my bladder well. the cystoscopy showed nothing abnormal and he was very unhelpful. He offered me no solutions and said this is NOT a urology issue. He did not think detrol would help me. He said a nephorolgist may shed some insight. I am completely in tears and frustration as I am spending a majority of my day/night in the bathroom, peeing about 2.5-3 liters and about 18-26xs in a 24 hour period. I can not hold a job and cant possibly live a functional life this way. I have no idea what to do or who to get help from.
can you please offer some advice on what you think this is? Based on my own research, I have come up with some possibilities of multiple scrlerosis, diabetes insipidus, or possibly kidney problems.
How can someone who barely drinks 1.5 liter of liquid produce this much urine this often?
Hi Dr, did you see my ? I have not received a reply
No nothing. No meds. So what do you think is going on with me and what do you advise me to do next?
no, I had my baby in mid nov, and I thought back to it, and this problem had started about 2 months before I got pregnant, but at that time, it was less severe, I was going pee about 10xs a day. But until that time ( about two months before I got pregnant) so until Jan of last year, I never had this issue, I would pee only 3-4xs a day with no urgency
The doctor said I am emptying my bladder just fine
so in your opinion, could this be diabetes insidius? and will the nephorolgist be able to rule out any kidney problems?
In your opinion, will this eventually go away or will I have to live with this for life?
thank you very much,
just a couple of ?s -
1) who is the doctor I can go to to rule out diabetes insidious? gynocology or nephrology or my internist?
2) If my body is producing large amounts of urine, I think I am peeing about 3 liters a day, how can the detrol stop the over production of urine?
3) when you say this will go away, do you mean as long as I am on the detrol, or do you think it will get to a point where it will go away on its own when i take no medicaitons?
hi dr, i never got a reply back to my follow up ?s
so are you saying that even though I am producing a lot of urine, that it is actually the URGENCY that is making me go pee so much, and not the fact that I am producing so much urine?
In terms of the physical therapy you are talking about, what doctor can refer me to this, and can you please explain what this therapy involves?
Wanted to update that I am going to see a urogynocologist specialist as well as a nephorologist next week. In the mean time, my primary care physician ordered a bunch of blood test as well as a urine test OSMOLALITY, URINE and I just got the results online- I am not a doctor, but to me, they seem to be normal. I had some ?s on a couple of them''
- first, the glucose fasting ( I fasted for 12 hours) my result is 96 and it says standard range is 60-99 wouldnt this put me at a borderline prediabetic level?
-there was a blood test done for ALT ( have no idea what this is) but it says standard range is <36 and my result was 35 so whatever this test is for, would I not be considered on the border or is this normal?
-The osmolalty urine result for me was 1003 and the osmolalty serum blood was 294. are these normal?
Based on this, I believe this rules out diabetes insipidus, or kidney problems which could be causing this urinary issue for me. Is that correct?
thank you- so I wanted to ask couple things
- In regards ***** ***** glucose, it says standard range is 60-99 and mine being so close to 99 ( mine 96) how is it that I am not considered on the border?
- and based on the cystoscopy, I do not have bladder cancer, no endometriosis, the ct scan showed no problems with stones or tumors in my kidneys, I am not diabetic, you are saying I do not have diabetes insipidus for sure, and my doctor said I do not have a prolapsed bladder''
So would you say at this point that I may have a neurological problem? ( I have no signs of anything weird) or in your opinion what is causing this urine problem?
ps: I got my internist to prescribe the detrol la 2mg and I started it yesterday, but so far no change in my urination frequency or urgency
I got the test results of all the blood work and the sodium urine and sodium blood test, and everything came back normal, as well as my creatine and my BUN, so I am assuming I do not have any kidney problems as well, is this correct?
I also measured how many times I went pee and how much I went in the last 24 hours starting at 5pm yesterday pacific time and I was surprised to find out that I went pee a total of 14 times in 24 hours, and my TOTAL urine measurement in that 24 hours was 28oz- which is less than a liter, so I am thinking I am not suffering my polyuria. Is the amount that I am peeing normal?
thank you I have a few ?s
- by urge neurogenic do you mean I have a neurological problem like MS or parkinsons?
- Do you think this is IC?
- and will this urge go back to me urinating at normal frequency if my bladder is trained? To where I can go pee every 4 hours?
sorry , but I am a bit confused.
So if I am not urinating more than 1 liter in a 24 hr period, does this urge problem mean that I need to train my bladder to go LESS FREQUENTLY, but when I do go- then to pee more? or even if I go less frequently will I still be urinating only 2ounces at a time?
- and I really do not have any pain, so do you think this is IC or just overactive bladder?
-I used to urinate about 4xs a day before this problem started, but you are saying that I should be able to urinate 7-10xs a day, which seems excessive. so does that mean that even with medication I will still pee as often as 7-10xs a day?
So from what you are saying, I basically have a overactive bladder with my main problem being URGE to constantly go. So with the medication and bladder training, will this urge stop completely or will I always have some of it?
- also, how do I get my body to not have to go to the bathroom during the night when I sleep? In a 8 hour sleep time at night, I have to go on average 2-3xs
-lastly, I have realized I do not drink much of anything in a 24 hour period. I drink at most 1.25 liter of fluid a day- mostly consisting of soda and juice, but if I start drinking more fluids and more water- won't that just make me pee more frequently with more urge?
But in terms of actually drinking more fluids, water, which my body needs to produce more urine, what I am asking is- if I start drinking more fluids- even if its more water and less caffeine, wont that just make me pee more frequently with more urge?
and I still do not understand- how do I get the night time urination to stop?
so than are you saying it is a good idea to increase my fluid intake to about 2 liters a day, but make most of that be water?
and I started the detrol a few days ago. So I have taken 3 pills in 3 days. So far, no side effects. How long do the side effects take to kick in if I have them? and how long before the medication starts to work to decrease urge?
I wanted to update and let you know I have now seen all sorts of specialist and they have done blood work, kidney scans, urine tests, and everything has come back negative. So they are telling me I just have an overactive bladder and want to have me do timed voiding when I urinate as well as send me to biofeedback. The urogynocologist told me since I have so much urge, that even when I get the urge to urinate, I should hold it and not go until my next timed void. I wanted your opinion on if you think this will work for me? ( I have been on detrol LA 4mg for over a month and its really not helping me) do you think its possible I may have some urinary bacterial infection that is rare and does not show up on regular urinalysis and perhaps the doctors need to look for it specifically? or do you thinkk this is just overactive bladder?
yes both showed everything is fine. They did the ultrasound as put syringe or something and found that I do not have a retention problem
did you see my reply?
no the detrol is not helping much at all, its only giving me bad side effects of blurry vision and dry mouth. and none of the doctors put me on any other meds
I have some ?s to ask you
- they have scheduled me for a biofeedback appoinment to have 4xs once per week. Is this what you are talking about in terms of the physical therapist?
- in your opinion, will the timed voiding and biofeedback help? do you think this problem will resolve and I will pee normal like 4-6xs a day?
- do you think there is a chance it could be a rare bacterial infection that they are not looking for in the urinalaysis?
so you do not think this is a rare bacteria they have not seen and that is what is causing this?
hi dr, I want to ask ? of you
So I just had baby on november 2012, and at my post pardum checkup they did pap smear, and the hpv part came back negative, however, they said they found some abnormal cells. ( this is very first time I have ever had an abnormal pap) so they did biopsy, and said they found low grade dysplasia... no sign of cancer, but I am really scared. I know cervical cancer is a slow progressing cancer. I do not have a history of it in my family.
I would like to know- what do you think chances of me developing cervical cancer from these low grade abnormal cells are? and do you think I will have a normal pap test when they redo this in 1 year? again, the hpv was negative
hi, thanks for your reply. So they are having me do another pap test in about 6 months to a year and I wanted to ask you some followup ?s
1) is that soon enough to have this looked at again- a pap in 6 mo to a year?
2) how likely is it that the next pap in a year will be normal?
3) even if these are abnormal cells, they can do a leep procedure I read to take off the abnormal cells. Is this successful? and will any of this cause me to not be able to get pregnant or affect fertility? I am 33yrs old and would like to have one more child in about 2-4 years
well, I do smoke. I smoke about 7-8 cigarettes a day, and to be totally honest and realistic, I do not plan on quitting right now, for a few more years, so having said that, is it still likely the abnormal cells will be gone in 6 months and I will have a normal pap then?
also, not sure if you read my ? about the infertility/pregnancy , but I would like to know, will any of this, even if the abnormal cells do not go away, will any of this affect my fertility or chances of getting pregnant in 2-4 years?
Im sorry, just so I understand, as I have anxiety about this, if I do not stop the smoking, what is realistically and likely to happen with these abnormal cells? are you saying they will turn into cancer? I just want to know realistically what is likely and the worst that can happen if I do not stop smoking.