Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  MD, Fellow of American College of OB/GYN
19018599

Please help.....I recently put alum in my vagina for

Customer Question

Please help.....I recently put alum in my vagina for tightening and cleasning purposes and now I've lost the pink color, the vaginal walls feel hard and dry and rough. Will it return to its original state? How do I obtain the soft, moist, pink vagina i so deparately want? I'm embrassed..... do i need to go to my doctor?
Shajuania
Florida
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi. I am Dr. Susan. Can you explain what alum is?

Customer:

Alum can be found in the grocery store in the spice section, its used to crisp pickles....

Dr. Susan :

I have not heard of it before. But it sounds like you might have a chemical burn. Are you having any pain, itching, odor or discharge?

Customer:

No pain, itching....none. My vagina is white no longer pink and it feels rough and dry.

Dr. Susan :

How long ago did you do this?

Customer:

It's been approx. 28 hrs.

Dr. Susan :

OK..So it is pretty recent. I would suggest you see your gyn doctor to evaluate you. She can make sure there is no evidence of any serious damage and to check for any possible infection, etc. Additionally, for my patients that have had chemical burns and injury to the vaginal tissue for various reasons, I have given estrogen cream to apply which usually helps to revitalize the tissue. I doubt there is serious permanent damage. The vaginal tissue has a lot of blood flow and can heal easily from injury. I would not be too embarrassed to see your gyn doctor. We see things like this all the time.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Please click accept so I can get credit for my answer. Thanks!