OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Does the cervix always return low and hard after ovulation?

Customer Question
By the days in which...
Does the cervix always return low and hard after ovulation? By the days in which we had intercourse does that fall within the range? Every calculator seems to be within one or two days, but I'm obviously hitting close with the day before O. My extreme fatigue and hunger in the a.m. is very uncommon for me which makes me think (even more than cp & cm) there's a good chance we conceived.
My LMP was 2/17
I'm currently on cd 23 of 30
Intercourse 2/26 (cd10)
Intercourse 3/1 (cd14)
OPK+ 3/1
Ovulation 3/2
Next period due in 7 days, 3/17.
Cervix has remained high with cre***** ***** cm since ovulation, has remained soft, never returned low. I should be a pro at this, it's not new to me, as I conceive fairly easy (this would be my 7th). I'm 33 years old with a cycle ranging from 28-30, but I've never checked my cp or cm until January when we decided to start ttc.
Thanks!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: OB GYN
3/10/2012
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 5 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Your cervix really does not change position in any noticeable position during your cycle - but it does produce a discharge called Spinbarkeit during ovulation and this is the time that signifies when you can get pregnant.
So, to find out if you have conceived - the earliest a pregnancy test would be positive is approximately 10 days after ovulation which is about 3 to 4 days PRIOR to your next period - and you should have a postiive pregnancy test if you conceived by the day of a 'missed' period.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
You're saying the cervix doesn't change position? I have read probably 100 different things online and in medical books as how your cervix is low during your mentrual cycle, rises up towards ovulation and returns low after ovulation in time for your period again? Now I'm supe confused, as even self exams I have noticed my cervix higher and lower except for this month?
What medical books?
Where online?
And, why are you even trying to feel your cervix?

Numerous medical books at Duke Medical, any fertility charting suggests checking your cervical position at least daily and 1000s of websites if you simply search Cervical Position. You are the first person in my 18 years of being a mother that I've heard that your cervix doesn't change positions? As for why I'm checking my cervix, I am currently ttc and am doing as all charts request (cervical position & cervical mucus).

Thanks, again!

Okay - in all my years as an ob/gyn - I've never told a woman to check their cervix - which medical books - as duke does not have an ob/gyn text book - they might have a website, but can you point that too me?
There was a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and numerous on Cervical cysts that went into detail of your cervical position changes throughout your cycle, as well as with some women even daily. When I had an actual OB/GYN he neve advised me to check my cervix, however, my midwives always recommended it. Natural Fertility is another book there, trying to think of the main ones. As far as online, theres 1000s and 1000s of references, www.webwomb.com being a pupular one for those women trying to conceive. www.FertilityAuthority.com is another, www.BeautifulCervix.com has actual photos of the different heights of the cervix.
my question to you - have you read any obstetric text books such as by S. Gabbe MD or by G. Cunningham, MD - these are essentially the 'bible's of obstetrics, not the web?

No Sir, simply what I found in Duke Medical library while there for other reasons. By no mean am I an expert at the medical side, just the birthing side ; )

Okay - after reviewing the websites you told me about - none of them are written by an ob/gyn doctor - and hence these 'ideas' are very unlikely to be valid - as these are essentially wive's tales that are floating around the internet - there has not been any proof that this is a valid way to know that you are ovulating -
But some ideas that have some validation in ovulation is the discharge called Spinbarkeit, BBT - Basal Body Temperature, and OPK's - Ovulation Predictor Test Kits - these are the most valid way- but trying to feel your cervix, position and consistency has never proven to be a valid way to know when you ovulate -
I'm always interested in learning about why people are reading on the internet and this is one that has sparked my interest - but I do have to say that it is not valid.
So, back to your question - you can do a pregnancy test about 3 to 4 days Prior to your period and if you are pregnant it should be pregnant by the time you missed a period if you miss a period.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Awww, thanks for your time! How odd it is, because my midwives were always into natural fertility and birth and always mentioned and suggested such. I'll go ahead and accept your reply and just wait it out : 0 You would think with six kids I would have such patience to wait six more days, right? Thanks again for your time & continued feedback and questions!
Well - I understand the difference between midwife and ob/gyn - there is a world of difference - but the major difference is that the ob/gyn is ultimately responsible even for the midwife because a midwife can not operate without a doctor backup in the US and the ob/gyn has to go by 'scientific data' where the midwife is not trained that way..
Take care.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)