How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Su S Your Own Question
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 20990
Experience:  Experienced in maternity and women's health
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Su S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 49 years old and still menstruating. My periods have

Resolved Question:

I'm 49 years old and still menstruating. My periods have always been regular at 26-29 day intervals. However, my last period was 18 days after the previous one (which was late and came at day 32). This period lasted four days - the first two days were fairly heavy, which is normal for me as I have uterine fibroids, and the last two were normal flow. I have now had some light spotting for three days - the first day of spotting came 14 days after the start of my last period. Should I see a doctor urgently or does this sound like I'm starting perimenopause. I have no pain, weightloss, nausea or other symptoms.
Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

As you are 49 years old, irregular menstruation can be a feature of perimenopause. This is the transition period from normal to menopause. If the bleeding increases, then it should be sorted out by physical examination of a doctor and investigations. There can be many other possibilities like infection, hormonal imbalance, fibroid uterus, growth, dysfunction of ovaries, stress etc. Though you are healthy and do not have any other symptoms, this can be due to perimenopause. However, you need to have a pelvic examination by a gynecologist. If the doctor feels ,hormone study, ultrasonogram etc. will be needed to get the precise diagnosis.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Dr. Su S and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you