How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 45 years old and have irregular periods (1 in the last

Resolved Question:

I am 45 years old and have irregular periods (1 in the last 5 months). I take the contraceptive pill but when I have a period it usually comes in the middle of the cycle instead of during the 7 day break. I have been to my GP and he has take blood tests for hormone levels and these have come back as around 7 for the 2 different hormones they tested for. (I THINK leutinizing hormone and Follicle stimulating hormone)The result is that I might be menopausal but they can`t tell as I take the contraceptive pill. I don`t know whether to keep taking the pill, I feel well and healthy and am not having any side effects or symptoms associated with the menopause but am worried that it is not safe to keep taking it or that it is giving me too many extra hormones. My doctor says its up to me but I really don`t know. Can you advise me? Lindsay
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Well you are having irregular periods and most likely you do NOT need to take the pills to prevent a pregnancy, but what is more important is why you are having irregular periods and this does need to be evaluated, as this could be an infection, this could be a thyroid condition, this could be a polyp, a fibroid, or possibly a dysplasia (precancer) or a cancer (which is unlikely, but it should be evaluated).
So, you do need to see a ob/gyn about this and you need a PAP smear (if you have not had one in the past year, and you need an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of your uterus (takes 20 seconds in the ob/gyn office), a Pelvic exam, a pelvic ultrasound and a TSH thyroid blood test.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again.
Along with my hormone levels they tested my thyroid hormone levels and this was OK too.
I have no pain or bloating and don`t FEEL that I have any infection lumps.
My smears are up to date too.
How possible could it be that I AM menopausal even with blood test results being `normal` and that this could be the cause of my dwindling periods?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Well the reason to do the testing is to make sure that there is nothing seriously wrong and hence, this would be perimenopausal bleeding and hence this is just a normal benign diagnosis and most LIKELY it is just hormonal perimenopausal bleeding, that is all it really is more likely.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT for helping you as this would be appreciated as we only get compensated when you ACCEPT and if you have more questions, please ask. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou for your reply, Can u advise whether I should continue takingnthe contraceptive pill if that is the case?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
This is really up to you, but have your doctor do a FSH blood test and if the test is still less than 25, still take the pills, as you never know, although unlikely you will get pregnant.
Please click on ACCEPT for helping you, thank you
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you