OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can genital warts be passed on 3 years after they have gone?

Customer Question
Is this a life-long infection...
Can genital warts be passed on 3 years after they have gone? Is this a life-long infection and can I expect reoccurances?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: OB GYN
10/5/2011
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Yes, they can - but if you have had your HPV 'silent' meaning that you do not have any abnormal PAP smears, and no current warts, then unlikely you will pass on the HPV as the HPV will be dormant and not in the active stage. You could expect recurrences, but as long as you are healthy, and do not smoke, you should not have recurrences.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Hi I beleive that my doctor told me that genital warts is transient and after 2 years my body has probably cleared the virus. Is this inaccurate? do I need to worry forever?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 6 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
It's thought that in general, our bodies will clear out the hpv virus that causes genital warts, but this isn't always true. Most of the time when warts clear and later come back, it's because we've picked up the virus again (it's a very common virus), but sometimes the hpv virus stays in our bodies, and then the warts come back when our immunity is low. However, most of the time when a woman hasn't had warts for 3 years, it means her body has cleared the virus, and she won't get more warts or pass it to others unless she gets the hpv virus again from someone. We can test for the hpv virus in the cervix, but we don't have a test to know whether the virus may be present in the vulva or vagina. We only know it if we see warts. Best regards.

Thank you for your response when would warts normally show? I have been with a new partner for 4 months and he has no symptoms as far as I am aware. I know that it can take years for warts to first develop but I would assume this was not the norm. I have not told him of the previous infection as I was told this was not required.

Warts could show up within a couple weeks. If they're going to show, it will usually be within 3 months, but it's possible that warts wouldn't show up for 1-2 years, and they may never show, even if the hpv virus is transmitted. I agree that it's not necessary to tell sex partners of previous genital warts. The hpv virus is so common, that the majority of sexually active adults will get the hpv virus at some time during their lives.
I can be fairly sure that I am not contagious and will not get a reoccurance? I can also feel more comfertable that as it has been over 4 months that my partner is less likely to develop symptoms?
Most likely you're not contagious and will not get a recurrence, but none of us can ever be certain about that. The hpv virus is so common that it's just as likely that you'll get it from your new partner as that you'll give it to him. However, since it's been over 4 months, chances are good that neither of you will develop symptoms.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN