How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 70 yr old woman and have started vaginal bleeding to

Customer Question

I am a 70 yr old woman and have started vaginal bleeding to spotting. My recent vaginal ultrasound indicates Endometrium measures 15mm with anechoic areas. Neither ovary was seen. No cul-de-sac fluid was noted. A small fibroid, cystic appearin endometrium, no other cysts or masses are noted in either adnexa. Uterus is anteverted and normal size.
What is recommended procedure?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
First I would recommend that you get an Endometrial biopsy first to see if you have any cancer - which it does not appear that you do.
Then if the biopsy is normal, then you should get a hysterectomy so that you do NOT develop a uterine cancer in the future.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Vaginal itching has been a problem for about a month. Tried vagisil wipes and it soothes for while. Itching continues, it was suggested that it's similar to jock itch for men and I should use Tinactin antifungal cream, but does not help.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
What would probably help is a vaginal cream such as Estradiol cream (premarin) - and you can use this to help as you more than likely have atrophy which is causing the itching and once you have the hysterectomy you can use the estrogen daily and you can even use a patch called Climara and this should help you.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you