Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Why would an elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit

Why would an elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit (hemoconcentration) be expected with preeclampsia but not with HELLP syndrome?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Actually HELLP is something I consider to be a subset of Severe Preeclampsia - and hence I usually do see hemoconcentration with HELLP , but not all the time - and honestly we do not have a very good reason for this - and many times you have to make a diagnosis just on the clinical information that you have at hand which many times is NOT a standard BOOK answer, but something that we use our CLINICAL experience for - and also HELLP many times also does not present with blood pressure problems so you have to be ready to expence any thing.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you