How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Pfeiffer Your Own Question
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 5987
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Pfeiffer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 60 years old female and have vaginal bleeding and cramps

Resolved Question:

I am 60 years old female and have vaginal bleeding and cramps even though I have had total hysterectomy.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 5 years ago.

is there an odor?

related to intercourse at all?

any problems with constipation?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes there is an odor no it isnt related intercourse
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 5 years ago.


this is most likely from atrophic vaginitis, which is where the vaginal tissue becomes thin and susceptible to infection. This can cause inflammation and bleeding. The underlying problem is estrogen deficiency.

So, first thing is to have the diagnosis confirmed. Antibiotics to treat the infection. Lastly, vaginal estrogen replacement or OTC Rephresh to help maintain vaginal Ph if you don't want to use hormones.


I'm happy to answer follow up question as needed, but remember to click 'accept'.

thank you so much,

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you