OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had severe burning on the tissue under my urethra.

Customer Question
There is some swelling on...
I have had severe burning on the tissue under my urethra. There is some swelling on the bottom of the urethral opening, and it is red. I am on doxycycline and flagyl. However, the symptoms are not getting better. I have had this burning off and on for the last seven years. I have tried numerous antibiotics. I did the best on clindamyacin, boric acid, and steroid cream, but it always comes. back. I had a hysterectomy and now have atrophy. Can you please offer any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/11/2011
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 7 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Did you have a swab from the area? If so, what is the result? Any yeast infection?
How tall are you? How much do you weigh?
Any medical problem such as diabetes?
Any surgeries?
Any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?
When it started 7 years ago, they said it was bacterial vaginosis. Recently, the ph was a little off, but no bacteria. They didn't mention yeast. I am 5'7'' 158 lbs. Tested for diabetes results were negative. Biopsy below urethra revealed aconthosis. Said steroid cream should reverse, but still burning. Surgeries include tubal pregnancy, leep for HPV on cervix, D&C;s for miscarriages, hysterectomy/bladder sling. Sling infiltrated tissue, so pieces had to be removed. However, the burning has occured long before the hysterectomy and sling. Long relief I had was 1 month with clindomyacin. Felt nothing when I used boric acid. However, it always comes back. urine samples routinely show entereococcus
You could have vulvodynia. It is characterized by pain in the area around the opening of your vagina (vulva). The pain, burning or irritation associated with vulvodynia may make you so uncomfortable that sitting still for long periods or even having sex becomes unthinkable. The condition can go on for months or years.
Doctors don't know what causes vulvodynia, but contributing factors may include:
Injury to or irritation of the nerves surrounding your vulvar region
Past vaginal infections
Allergies or a localized hypersensitivity of your skin
Many women with vulvodynia have a history of treatment for recurrent vaginitis or vaginal yeast infections. Some women with the condition have a history of sexual abuse. But most women with vulvodynia have no known contributing factors. Vulvodynia isn't sexually transmitted or a sign of cancer.
Vulvodynia treatments focus on relieving symptoms. No one treatment works for every woman, and you may find that a combination of treatments works best for you. It may take weeks or even months for a new treatment regimen to noticeably improve your symptoms. Available options may include:
Medications. Tricyclic antidepressants that may help lessen chronic pain include amitriptyline, desipramine (Norpramin) and nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor). Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine (Tegretol) and gabapentin (Neurontin) also may lessen the pain of vulvodynia. Antihistamines such as hydroxyzine can reduce itching.
Local anesthetics. Medications such as lidocaine ointment can provide temporary symptom relief. Your doctor may recommend applying lidocaine 30 minutes before sexual intercourse to reduce your discomfort. Your partner may also experience temporary numbness after sexual contact.
Surgery. In cases where painful areas can be specifically pinpointed at the hymeneal ring (localized vulvodynia, vulvar vestibulitis), surgery to remove the affected skin and tissue (vestibulectomy) relieves pain in some women.
The following tips may help you manage the symptoms of vulvodynia:
Try cold compresses. Cool compresses placed directly on your external genital area may help lessen pain and itching.
Avoid tightfitting pantyhose and nylon underwear. Tight undergarments restrict airflow to your genital area, often leading to increased temperature and moisture that can cause irritation. Wear cotton underwear to increase ventilation and dryness, and sleep without underwear at night.
Avoid hot tubs. Spending time in a hot tub may lead to discomfort and itching.
Avoid excessive hygiene. Washing or scrubbing the affected area harshly or too often can increase irritation. Instead, use plain water to gently clean your vulva and pat the area dry. After bathing, apply a preservative-free emollient, such as plain petroleum jelly, to create a protective barrier.
Use lubricants. If you're sexually active, apply lubricants before engaging in sexual intercourse.
Look for triggers and avoid them. The triggers that can make vulvar pain worse tend to be different for each woman. Your observations of what causes you pain are important. Avoid potentially irritating soaps, clothing dyes, contraceptive devices, creams and bath products. Use only white, unbleached toilet paper and 100 percent cotton sanitary products.
Stay active. Regular exercise can help ease chronic pain, but stay away from exercises that put pressure directly on the vulva, such as bicycling.
Accept small steps of progress. Don't expect instant cures. Have confidence that you'll feel better over time.
Any questions?
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)