How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2536
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to conceive twins .please which medication do I tAke

Resolved Question:

I want to conceive twins .please which medication do I tAke to hyper ovulate ? Is it chlomid? Or what
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.
There is no guaranteed method for conceiving fraternal twins. The frequency of twins depends on the type of twins. Identical twins occur about once in every 250 births around the world. This type of twin formation appears to be uninfluenced by age, race, heredity, number of pregnancies or medications taken for infertility (fertility drugs). The incidence of fraternal twins is influenced by race, heredity, maternal age, the number of previous pregnancies and the use of fertility drugs.
The frequency of multiple fetuses varies significantly among different races. Twins occur in 1 out of every 100 pregnancies in white women compared to 1 out of every 79 pregnancies in black women.
The use of Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) will increase your chance of conceiving twins to about 1 in 10. The chance of triplets using clomid is very low.
I hope you find this information helpful. Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me. Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.
Good Luck and Well Wishes,
Dr. Haver
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Mary for the info. I am aware of all u said regarding the fraternal twin occurance. however", am black and I have two kids tru c section .I want twins so I don't go tru pregnancy again since I deliver tru surgery .
You dint tell me the medications that increase ovulation. Or should I say the fertility drugs u recommend and how it can be taken
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 6 years ago.
There are two types of medications to enhance fertility and ovulation that are approved by the FDA:
1. Clomiphene citrate - typically taken on day 4 - 7 of your cycle in 50 mg doses. If you only released one egg before at the 50 mg dose, you should try to double to dose. That being said, the medication in the US is not availible without a prescription, but I am unsure what the laws governing this medication are in Nigeria. The best thing to do is to use the medication under a doctor's supervision so that you can have an ultrasound to see if two follicles (eggs) are developing and decide whether or not to proceed with fertilization attempts that month, or up the dose and wait for the next cycle.
2. Injectable medications - these are VERY strong and typically used in IVF cycles or women with very low ovarian function. I would be very surprised if you were allowed to use them without medical supervision in any country as they can be extraordinarily dangerous.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you