How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Zach Your Own Question
Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 4521
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Zach is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have what looks like a skin tag in my pubic hair area. All

This answer was rated:

I have what looks like a skin tag in my pubic hair area. All across this part from thigh to thigh itches just below a C-section scar. My PCP has treated me for a yeast infection. The meds helps but the itching comes back. Any thoughts? If it's not your area, then whos area would it be? Thanks.

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to assist you today.


A skin tag in your pubic hair area may be just that-- a skin tag. It is always a good idea to have it looked at by your PCP and if it bothers you (gets caught on clothing, etc) then definitely having it removed would be a good idea-- usually they are quite easy to take off. The other thought I had (as an OBGYN) is that it could be a genital wart-- they can look sort of like skin tags. These are caused by human papilloma virus and there are many different therapy options for helping to remove them including freezing and also cutting them off. As far as the itching below your C/S scar-- typically C/S scars tend to fall right where the fold of the belly is and this area can be quite moist-- yeast loves moist areas. I think your doctor had the right idea treating you with a yeast infection medication. A couple other ideas for you though to prevent the reoccurance-- the number one thing is to keep the area dry. Yeast do not like dry areas, mainly just moist ones. After you shower, you can dry really well with a towel or use a blow dryer on cool setting to dry the area thoroughly. If it tends to get moist during the day, try out some nystatin powder (basically an anti yeast powder that will also keep the area fresh and dry). My final thought is to make sure it is not an allergic reaction. I sometimes see women break out in this area if they are wearing new underwear or are allergic to a new detergent or waistband of clothing-- take a good look at what you are using and see if any of that may be contributing. It is always difficult to diagnose dermatology conditions online, so as always, make sure your doctor has seen both areas (the itching area and the skin tag area).

Take care. Please click accept for my time. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Both the "skin tag" (whatever it is) and the itching are in the same area. They both appeared about the same time last summer. The only thing different is that the "skin tag" was just a bump. Now it is about 3/8-1/4" in depth (out from my body) and about the thickness of a paneling nail. It does hur to touch and I thought about clipping it off but it looks sort blue. As for HPV, don't you have to have sex or be exposed to the virus? I gave up sex for the Lord 15 yrs ago and I have lived alone for the same time. Does the additional info provide more insight to help me?


My PCP is an Internist and doesn't look at these things. I'm very modest and only told him about two months ago. He usually refers me to somone else. I don't know whether to go to a GYN or a dematolgist. I didn't know if the later would be looking at things in private area.

I definitely recommend someone taking a look at these things-- I would start with a dermatologist. Genital warts are caused by HPV which is sexually transmitted-- but you do not have to have had recent sex to have an outbreak. If your immune system is a bit down, sometimes people can develop some genital warts even if it has been a long time since sexual activity. The fact that the skin tag is blue is a bit concerning to me-- I am betting that if you make an appt with a dermatologist he or she could likely remove it for you right then and there. A dermatologist should have no problem looking at skin tags and rashes near the vagina and more than likely your gyn, if unsure of the diagnosis, would refer you to the dermatologist. . .so I think if I were you I would go ahead and just start there. Don't be embarrased-- it is our job to look at the areas that people are worried about regardless of where they are. Take care :)
Dr. Zach and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you