OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

How can gonorrhea or chlamydia lie dormant for?

Customer Question
how long can gonorrhea or...
how long can gonorrhea or chlamydia lie dormant for?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: OB GYN
2/27/2011
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Actually, once it is dead, it is gone, so gonorrhea and chlamydia do NOT lie dormant.
But, the affects of chlamydia can cause scar tissue in your pelvis and abdomen.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Relist: Other.
Answer was too vague...can my partner have contracted one of these std's from me recently if I have been infectted for five years plus and didnt know?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 6 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
I don't think we know for sure how long gonorrhea and chlamydia can lay dormant, but it's probably for many years. I think either one can remain in your cervix and either cause no problem or cause a smoldering inflammation (with no symptoms) for years, probably more than 5 years. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN