How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 54 years old and still having periods, alto irregular.

Resolved Question:

I am 54 years old and still having periods, alto irregular. Once in a while between periods I will have very slight brown discharge. What is this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Your body is most likely trying to get through to menopause - but since you are having irregular periods you should get this evaluated by your ob/gyn as this could be fibroids (unlikely), polyps, a thyroid condition, or possible dysplasia or cancer.
So, I would recommend a pelvic exam, a possible pelvic ultrasound, a PAP smear, a TSH thyroid blood test, and since your period are irregular, I would recommend an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of the uterus (a 20 second procedure of the inside of your uterus).
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you