OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

MY daughter is 21 years old, and she has a high bacteria…

MY daughter is 21 years...
MY daughter is 21 years old, and she has a high bacteria count in her cervix. This count increased since her last exam one year ago. Her doctor told her she has HPV (her pap smear results are abnormal).
Her symptoms are: pain during intercourse, strange vaginal discharge, irregular periods (this just started), light occasional spotting, mild to severe cramps during mentruation.
What is the treatment, and what are her risks? Could it be anything else? She is setting another appointment with her doctor for more tests. She was only tested for STD's and HPV so far. She tested negative for STD's. We don't think she is pregnant - she always uses condoms.
Thanks!
Marilyn
1/13/2011
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.
Your daughter most likely has bacterial vaginosis that is leading to the discharge - it does not usually cause pain however. She may need oral antibiotic therapy - metronidazole for at least 2 weeks to restore the normal flora of the vagina.
The cramps can have several causes: dysmenorrhea (born to have bad cramps), and endometriosis are the most common causes at her age - and the best treatment for both is birth control pills. They dramatically decrease menstrual cramping and work wonders in regulating periods.
Please have her check a home pregnancy test - just in case!
She has had all of the necessary testing done it seems, but if you are unhappy with her care - she should seek a second opinion as soon as possible.
I hope you find this information helpful.
Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.
Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.
Good Luck and Well Wishes,
Dr. Haver
What about her abnormal pap smears? She has HPV - is that related to bacterial vaginosis? What could cause the pain during intercourse? Why would a young woman have endometriosis?
No, HPV is human papilloma virus - it is sexually transmitted and is the causative agent in cervical dysplasia and cancer. It does not cause pain or irregular cycles. Endometriosis is a complicated disease and often affects young women. Here is an excellent website for you: http://women.webmd.com/endometriosis/endometriosis-topic-overview
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor