Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have had menstrual bleeding for 2 weeks now. Most of the

I have had menstrual bleeding for 2 weeks now. Most of the time it has been heavy with blood clots, however, there have been a couple of days when it was light and I thought it was over, but then I would start bleeding again. I am not and haven't been on BCPs for over a year. What is going on?

What was your period before this period like - normal? less blood flow?Dates?

Did you have unprotected sex in the last month?

Are you under any stress?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My period before this current one was 20 days ago, and lasted 9 days. Both started in October (Oct. 5th-October 12th/13th) then the one I have now, I started spotting on October 24th, but had gotten it in full on October 25th and I still have it now. My husband and I don't use protection. In regard to stress, I suppose so, I just got married on October 24th, and I figured that had caused the spotting on my wedding day, and right now I am getting over a sinus infection that I have had for the past week.

It is not normal to have a menstrual period for more than 7 days continously and the cycles should be at a gap of at least 21 days.

Stress, as well as a change in the general lifestyle and environment (as in your case) can cause hormonal irregularities and abnormal menstrual cycles. This generally settles down spontaneously in about 3 months.

But you are bleeding too heavily to wait for 3 months. Please consult a doctor for an ultrasound to check that you do not have any conditions like a polyp or a fibroid which can cause similar bleeding. If you don't, then you can be prescribed medicines like tranexamic acid to decrease the bleeding as well as a mild progesterone like medroxyprogesterone for 10 days every month to help regulate the cycle. These will prevent a pregnancy.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.