Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

My clitoris has been covered over by skin and the labia

my clitoris has been covered over by skin and the labia minora have disappeared - i have no itching or other symtems whats happended and can i return to normal
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

How long have you noticed this?

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Have you seen a doctor yet or tried any medications?

Customer:

not yet i just noticed it 3 days ago - am waiting for appointment

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

OK - what does the skin look like? Is it pink or whitish?

Customer:

pink - normal looking skin

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

There is a condition called Lichen Sclerosus where the labia disappear and the clitoris can become scarred over - it usually is accompanied by some itching and discomfort though and happens over several years. When was the last time you noticed your vulva looked normal (to you?)

Customer:

i did have small white edges to my labia minora and kept getting sore, and skin splitting but thought it was due to riding my bike - so i stopped that and havent had any problems since, but have not let boyfriend touch around clitirois because of delicate skin that i thought was due to getting near menopause

Customer:

i had a smear last year and it was normal then

Customer:

if it is lichen sclerosus is there a treament to get my vulva back to normal please? and is it likely to lead to cancer of the vulva

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

This really sounds like LS - it takes a really good doctor who knows what she is doing and looking for to make the right diagnosis. It is usually treated with very high dose prescription steroids. I have a great website for you:

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lichen-sclerosus/DS00725

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Tell your doctor to make sure to rule this out.

Customer:

ok thank you even without the itching could it be ls and do you think i will be offered steroids in the uk and will this make clitoris etc normal again and thanks for your help

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

It depends on how bad the scarring is, but most women get much better with the steroids.

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Here is a link in the UK

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Lichen-Sclerosus.htm

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

print it out and give it to your doctor

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Good Luck - it really sounds like this is what it could be. You should insist on a biopsy.

Customer:

thank you so much - it s so lovely to be able to talk to someone about this - seems to be taboo subject thank you

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

You are most welcome. If you don't have any further questions then please press ACCEPT so Just Answer will give me credit for helping you.