Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

My period comes later and later every month is their

my period comes later and later every month is their something wrong with me? im trying to get pregnant and cant sem to
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

How many days apart are your cycles now (from start of one period to start of another?)

Customer:

well the last one started on the 12th of last month and i just started today

Customer:

it used to be regular i used tostart on the 21st of every month and the last 4 months they have come later and later

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

It sounds like you were a week late this month. How much are you bleeding now?

Customer:

very lighty, yes i was about a week late i kinda got exciting thinking i may have finally gotten pregnant but i took a pregnancy test 2 actually and they were both neg

Customer:

im at a loss we have been trying for a baby for 6months and all i seem to get are late periods

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Darn, that was my next question - to take a pregnancy test! You keep answering my questions before I can type them..... OK, are you doing any tracking of your ovulation?

Customer:

yes, but it doesnt seem to help

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Have you had any changes in stress, diet, exercise??

Customer:

no i have 2 children from a previous marriage and we have have a pretty set schedule

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

OK, has your partner fathered any other children?

Customer:

should i be worried about my periods coming later and later every month ? no he has no children

Customer:

him and his ex wife conceived once but she had a miscarraige

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

A day or two later is no big deal, but a week may signal a problem with your hormone levels. You are charting and timing so that is not the issue. At 22, no one is going to start fertility treatments for another 6 months so focus on your health - 8 hours of sleep, diet, exercise, no smoking, drinking etc.... There is likely NOT a serious problem, and I would bet my medical license that you will be pregnant in the next couple of months.

Customer:

i sure hope so, thank you!!! is there anythings i can do to help me become pregnant or that my patner can do?

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Natural things - make sure you have sex every other day (lets the sperm build up) for 4 days before and after you ovulate to make SURE you don't miss the window. Try taking a teaspoon full of Robitussin each night during that time period as it thins the cervical mucus and may help the sperm swim better!

Customer:

when exactly do we ovulate im asking because i wnt to make sure i have it right i no every ones diffrent but whts the time frame

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Sure - there is a great website called Fertility Friend (google it) that can help you chart it exactly and they also have awesome tips too.

Customer:

thank you so much for your help i no where im coming next time i need some questions answered!

Mary Claire Haver, M. D. :

Sure! My pleasure.

It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.

Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver