Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

My labia minora are very dark in color. It is very bothersome

My labia minora are very dark in color. It is very bothersome for me. Is there a way to safely lighten the color of them back to a pinkish?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What is your height and weight?
Do you take any medications?
Do you have any medical problems?
Have you delivered any children?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am about 5'2" and about 150lbs.
I only take OTC Tylenol and vitamins/minerals.
I do smoke about 1 pack of cigarettes per day.
I have only 1 child.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for updating me - the vulva (including the labia minora) do have melatonin and as we age, it is very common for your cells to darken - not that are things that can speed this up - a diet, being over over weight medications, tobacco use, previous pregnancies, and diabetes - so all of these conditions should be evaluated. In addition, so you want to try an make this area less dark this is quite difficult - but looking at what I said, and improving upon this might help. In addition, applying steroids (usually high potentcy steroid creams such as clobesterol and triamcinolone creams) do have side effects of causing lightening of tissue.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are the steroid creams available in OTC or do I need to have a script for them. If the steroid creams are not available OTC, is there anything to try that is?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
High potency steroid creams are prescription only - only low dose such as hydrocortisone cream are OTC.