Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence
24231911

Can Black Cohosh and sage leaf be taken with my HRT

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.

No, they cannot be used with HRT. Both contain a substance similar to estrogen known as phytoestrogen and may cross react.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been taking the Black cohosh and my hot flushes are worse how long before it will start to help.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 6 years ago.

If you are taking HRT and still having hot flushes, I would talk to your doctor about increasing it. Studies have shown that Black cohosh is no more effective than placebo.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is confusing as one says it is effective, and now you say it's not.

Should I then rather just have my levels checked again?
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 6 years ago.
I do not recommend it as studies have shown it is no more effective than placebo. If you are already taking HRT, you just need your dose increased. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went off my HRT and I am taking Black Cohosh with Sage leaf as the HRT was not helping at all.

A friend of mine is on Black cohosh and she has one Flush a month.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 6 years ago.
I understand that but she probably would not have more than one a month if she took nothing. Regardless, it is not working for you.