Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

The skin around my vagina is red raw, very sore & stings.

The skin around my vagina is red raw, very sore & stings. Over the last year I have tried using vagisil, vaseline & even a diaper cream but nothing seems to help. It is ruining my sex life, my husband is very understanding but I miss not being intimate with him. What should I do next? I use vagifem for internal dryness could this be connected? I'm 55 years old & went through the change over 5 years ago with no problem.
How long has this been going on, and have you by any chance been evaluated by an ob/gyn yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I have not yet seen my gynea I'm due for my annual check up in September, have had problem for about 6 months.
This could be due to many diagnoses - such as a yeast infection, a cancer, or vaginal atrophy, or a Paget's disease of the vagina/vulva or a Lichen disease such as lichen sclerosis - and since this is miserable for you - I would highly suggest that you get seen sooner - because you should be tested for each of these diagnoses and then you can get properly treated.
Most likely this is NOT a cancer, but a vaginal atrophy or a yeast infection - and you can try treating yourself with a yeast infection with either Monistat or Vagistat - but you might want to try Vagisil to soothe the pain.