OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I found out I am pregnant again with my third child. My

Customer Question
Hi I found out I...
Hi I found out I am pregnant again with my third child. My husband and I had a blighted Ovum in january and I didnt get a period until May 3rd I have not had a period since. I am pretty sure I ovulated around may 22nd and may 23rd. My husband and I made love on the 21st and 22nd. Yesterday I had an ultrasound done and it showed I was 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant it had a small sac on the ultrasound. My questions are on june 18th my hcg levels were 100 and they said I was barely pregnant How high do your hcg levels need to be to see a gestational sac on the screen? Also is it possible I am really 6-7 weeks pregnant but my sac's gestational age is almost 5 weeks given the two week period they add? I have another ultrasound scheduled for july 27th would that ultrasound be more accurate. I just want to know what could be going on? also someone told me my dates could be off if my embryo implanted later I guess it takes 7- 12 days after ovulation. What is the latest I could of been pregnant just need advice
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
6/30/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 years ago
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Was this a transvaginal ultrasound? Did you and your husband have intercourse at all in June? Are your periods usually regular? Do you have any medical problems/take medications? Any other pregnancies/deliveries in the past? Thanks, ***** *****
Ir was a vagainal ultrasound. Honestly I dont think we did I marked those two because those are the two days I had the white mucus and high tempature. I dont think we had intercourse but nothing is not a 100 percent. I dont always have regular periods. I have tow children one is 2 the other one just turned 1 yesterday and both were delivered by c section. I had a blighted ovum in january and didn't get a period until may3rd through may 6th which was the first period I got after I had the miscarriage
Thank you for the additional information. An HCG of 100 indicates a new pregnancy, approximately 4 weeks along. Since we traditionally count from the last period date, pregnancy is falsely increased 2 weeks. This would mean that conception occurred 2 weeks ago, resulting in a 4 week pregnancy. We expect to see a gestational sac when the HCG is around 1,000. Unfortunately, gestational sac size is not accurate at measuring pregnancy dates. It is always best to repeat the ultrasound after one week, as a fetal pole should be seen by this time. As this is a long time for mom's to wait, obtaining repeat HCG levels 48-72 hours later can usually provide some knowledge about the pregnancy. The level should double in this period of time. I recommend you ask your doctor to repeat your hormone level and ask to have your ultrasound repeated before July 27th as this is an unusually long time to have someone wait for a follow up ultrasound. A level of 100 is abnormal for a 6-7 week pregnancy and I would suspect a problem. However, since you are unsure of when you conceived (very common) and have irregular periods, repeating your hormone level and ultrasound will hopefully relieve your concerns as changes occur quickly and waiting a month to have follow up is very difficult and is almost cruel. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.
is it at all possible that my embryo implanted later than usual and how long can sperm survive in a females body the reason I am asking is because say I ovulated on the 22nd but my husbands sperm didnt fertilize until may 30th would that maek a difference? One nurse told me that if I ovulated on the 22nd but the sperm didn't fertilize until the 26th that it would make since that the gestational sac would only be 4 weeks from the date of conception I dont know I am just scared and nervous.
Sperm can only survive 7 days in the fallopian tube. Even if fertilization occurred on the 30th, this would make you 6 weeks pregnant today. I do not agree with the nurse as that statement is impossible. It does not take sperm 4 days to find an egg, it will be less than a day. If your HCG is only 100, this is abnormal. However, I have seen several times women give a conception date that does not match the date of their baby...and this date would be so far off that they had to have had intercourse some other time. I hope that all is well and this will be the case for you. Please call your doctor's office tomorrow to ask for repeat testing in 48-72 hours for your HCG level to look for an appropriate increase. An ultrasound one week later should also be reassuring.
last question I'm sorry. If the baby is growing slowly does this automatically mean I will miscarry or have you heard of women having the baby grow slowly but having a heathly baby any additional advice would be helpful thanks so much really appreciate it
A baby growing slowly can indicate a problem like an abnormal baby and the risk of miscarriage is higher. However, some women will go on to have a baby that is normal that is small for his/her age. I wish you the best. Good luck.