OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a missed miscarriage that i found out about on the 2nd…

Customer Question
Hi I had a missed miscarriage...
Hi
I had a missed miscarriage that i found out about on the 2nd June. on the 15th June i had a D&C. I went into hospital a week after due to cramping and clots and they said I had retained products (some of which were removed during the internal obs) The next day i had a scan which showed more retained products so was given misoprostol. this worked the same day and some tissue was released. Bleeding tapered off until 2 days later when backache, contractions, heavy bleeding started again. This resulted in more retained products being released. It seems to have all stopped now but when I go to change my pad there is a sweet smell could this indicate infection?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
There is a possibility of infection, and since you have had 'instruments' placed in your uterus this many times - I would recommend a course of antibiotics, specifically Doxycycline 100mg per twice a day for 10 days.
Hello....